Festival totems...Need Ideas!

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by floodhappy, May 17, 2013.

1. floodhappy

floodhappy Member

Alright so i wana make a Festival totem.. Not sure if thats what is actually called but yea. making my first one and i was looking for some advice about them... best piping or pole to use. other good supplies. And YOUR IDEAS!

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Have some pix for those of us not grasping the concept?

3. thismoment

thismoment Member

Cool idea. Google for pics. I've made a cut-out heart with battery powered led red lights on one side and white on the other - hangs from a line across a clearing. moves and turns in the wind.

I'm going to think about the totem idea.

4. floodhappy

floodhappy Member

[​IMG]
    The signs above everyone else

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

So googling found two uses: campground markers and the portable ones.

Long before they had a name, people who had been part of the parade, or stage decor crew at various fests would take props on long sticks into the crowd.

The easiest would be something fabric/with ewire or LEDs, attached to a kite swivel rig and hung from a bamboo pole. Like a tricked out windsock.
    It could go back and forth between campsite and crowds, with a small piece of pole to hold it at the campsite.

From a long time Fest goer perspective, keep the supports thin so you aren't being That Guy to everyone behind you.

If I were doing this, I'd head to intothewind.com to scope out poles, kite fabrics, swivel hooks, and possibly pre existing items to hack.
    They are great people, and very,very knowledgable about the kites and parts.

For pre made banners, I'd check dharmatrading.com, emphasizing silk and rayon, and also fabric paints and dyes, even as kits.

I'd have to google e wire and led sources.
    Although solargreens.com has some neat magnetic led discs meant for use in emergency situations, but the Mayor of Nederland (CO) thinks they'd be great for an LED parade. He's looking for a safer July 4 event in fire country.