Festival Food: What do you like to eat at music festivals?

Discussion in 'You Are What You Eat!' started by Jayden104, May 22, 2011.

1. Jayden104

Jayden104 Guest

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what would be the ideal foods to eat at a music festival? What would really contribute to the experience, what would suit the occasion the best and what would really be best for shaing with friends?
    A lot of people are telling me that food and alcohol can sometimes be expensive to buy from vendors at these events, so I'm also wondering would ther offerings be worth the extra bit of cash or would someone be better off bringing along their own supplies from the supermarket?

2. Random_Zephyr

Random_Zephyr Lifer

Fresh fruit and veggies. people get tired at festivals and crave things that are going to pep them up and be healthy -- counteract the damage they're doing to their bodies... Or at least, I do!

Also I find there are never enough vegetarian/vegan options.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Dagwood dogs. Nothing beats them.
    I specifically go to carnivals just to eat like 5 of them. >.>

4. raincoast

raincoast Member

I like bringing lots of Fruit, all sorts of kinds! And bread, with a shit ton of different stuff to spread on it. I dont tend to have much time to eat at a festival haha

5. iamtigerpaw

iamtigerpaw Member

i would like fruit shish kabobs :)

6. Random_Zephyr

Random_Zephyr Lifer

I might steal this idea when I vend at festivals this summer! Yummy!

7. jameshk

jameshk Member

Drugs and alcohol of course ;)

8. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

Well if you're not a vegan and not lactose intolerant or not repulsed by dairy - pepper jack grilled cheese sandwiches will make you very popular in the parking lot. vegetable burritos are a relatively safe hot/warm staple. Rice balls. Granola. Cool fruit (can't stand warm fruit). Food poisoning at a festival is pretty much like hell on earth - so if you really want to play it safe, make a huge bag of trail mix and eat that exclusively. You know where it's been, it's easy to keep, it's easy to pack and it won't slow you down - digestively speaking. On a somewhat unrelated not, I came down with H1N1 at a festival when that all came out - if someone would have offered to shoot me in the head, I would have let them. If it rains, avoid the ground around portalous - never sit downhill from one. A good friend of mine contracted a nasty case of dysentary from lounging on a blanket about 50 yards downhill from a row of portalous at that same festival. Take hand sanitizer and use it. Pack your own toilet paper.

9. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

Garlic grill-cheese.

10. aliced

aliced Dude Guy

Bring a bunch of bananas, a couple apples, a couple oranges, 2 gallons of water, a loaf of bread (white or wheat), peanut butter, jelly, some granola mixed with raisons cran berries and M&Ms and....

if you have a small camping grill

some cheese, a half dozen eggs, some sausage, and a couple hot dogs. (don't forget hot sauce, ketchup, mustard)

11. MINXVISHOUS2012

MINXVISHOUS2012 Member

I want to say fruit like everyone else but ill be bullshitting. I usually take lot's of junk food (because its cheap) and most of my money will go on the alchs.
    chips
    choc
    sausages (food good on the barbi)
    Lots of water lol
    More chocolate hahaha

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've been thinking about this for my festival prep thread.

My list is for the travel there, as well.
    Nut butters, hearty breads, carrots, red bell peppers and celery get me through the drive.
    Once there, I'm craving sweet, so I bring a bit of sweet junk, be it sweetened granola, cinnamon almonds, or even a couple candy bars. I'm not overly fond of chocolate, but sugar and a stimulant work at fests.
    I'll also drink coca cola on the drive but avoid it at the fest.

At Four Corners Folk a couple years back I brought chilie mango slices.
    Those went over well.

I will support vendors if they are wicked good. Sometimes the local restaurants will figure out a set up. High Sierra 2000 had a tandoor stall with veg options, a jun vendor (kind of like kombucha) and a juice vendor.
    All good stuff.

I typically don't bring a stove, unless a fire ban allowing stereo is in effect.
    I'll make dishes intended for room temp eating and keep them cool until needed. That can be tabbouleh, bean dips, chole, and prepped salad...unless I ate it on the road, then bagged salad.

13. River 1509

River 1509 Member

Bottle of juice, roll with poppy will be good.