Feminized seeds

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by PAX-MAN, Aug 22, 2010.

1. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

ok- here's the problem.
    I was growing 9 plants of unknown 'varieties '. Everything was going well, until somehow I lost track of how often I was fertilizing them and four of the plants ended up with really bad fertilizer burns. Unfortuneately I did not flush the plants properly and within the last three weeks they ended up becoming hermaphrodites without me knowing about it. I cut the four plants down today and I started trimming them and I noticed alot of mature seeds [?]. Now here's the question: is it possible that these seeds are feminized? or- if I attempt to grow them will they be hermaphrodites?

PAX

ps: this was an indoor grow.

2. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

"is it possible that these seeds are feminized? or- if I attempt to grow them will they be hermaphrodites?"

Stress causes hermys, nature makes seeds. So they will probly be like any other plant seeds will be half n half or so. Thats been my experience anyhow:>)

3. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

I ended up talking to a breeder that I dealt with about 5 yrs ago. He informed me that the seeds will more than likely be feminized with the possible exception of some being hermaphrodite. Being that the genetics that are present in the seeds are only from a female plant, there is no way that you will get any males. Hermaphrodites- yes: but no males. When they first started to feminize seeds, they would stress the plant to cause it to become hermaphroditic: thus producing seeds. That is not to say if you have a hermaphrodite plant that all the seeds will be feminized. People have been messing with the genes so much lately, that some strains will go hermaphrodite at the drop of a hat producing only hermaphroditic plants. So, when I do get a chance I'm going to grow a couple of these seeds out and see what happens. My finger are crossed: hoping for females.

PAX

4. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

If it was that easy to produce fem seeds then they would.nt be 10 time more expensive then 50/50's and ya surely would.nt get seeds in any weed ya buy were the growers messed up in that way.
    Me thinks ya gonna get 50/50 seeds that have a likely hood of going hemie.

5. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

Yeah I agree with other people, it's all chance. They will try and adapt if there's nothing to pollinate them, so I wouldn't expect them all to be girlys. You should have a decent grow for next time though. Best of luck!

6. Rocklobster

Forgot to mention but important any new seeds will need resting for a min of 2-3 months for best germination and grow results.

7. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/3381.html

Feminize the seed?
    By Ed Rosenthal - Thursday, March 11 2004
    Tags: Ask Ed, CC47, Breeding, GROWING.
    At which point should I create feminized seed?

. With feminized seeds, the grower knows that every plant is female. The seeds are produced using pollen from male flowers which had been induced to grow on female plants. None of the pollen contains male genetics so they grow only into female plants.

PAX

8. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

Thanx, Pax. I always wondered how it was done!>)

9. Rocklobster

Think should eat me words a little bit there thank you lol yum yum.
    But me thinking ya really need true females and plants that dont hermie quite so easy and use the chemical approach to be sure ya not just breeding hermie's or plants that will turn on ya really easily.
    Ya have to keep us all posted on ya results.
    Actually got a few hardy Clones I could spray with aspirin

10. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

Rock:
    Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner, but the harvest is coming in and I'm doing my most dreaded task- trimming. Oh, how I hate trimming! I was planning on germinating some of those seeds next spring but the harvest has been so successful that I'm not sure when I'm going to do something with them. We only grow for personal use. We don't sell anything. Possibly give it away, but not sell it. When I do work on those seeds I'll let you know what the results are like. I'm hoping that I have mostly females and very few hermaphrodites but you won't know until you have them growing. Well, I guess I better finish lunch and go back to trimming. Later gater, but not too soon baboon..........

PAX

11. Rocklobster

Well its that time of year when the work load picks up lol.
    Think longer you leave seeds the better but bet ya be watching the N when you do grow them.
    Actually got some clones really hard plants big bud crossed with northen lights and ppp crossed with crystal f4 (nice smoke and yield as goes) that i've started to spray and water with asprin just to see what happens.

12. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

Here's a little trick I was told about to increase the amount of females that you get instead of hermies. Keep your eyes on the buds and as soon as a male bananas appear and just before they release their pollen, remove them off the plants with a pair of tweezers. Then fertilize the same strain but one that wasn't forced into producing a male banana. When you are doing all of this, make sure you don't have a fan on as those little pollen particles move around very easily.
    You can keep us informed as to how things went. I certainly hope you have success.

PAX

PS

Everytime I see your nickname- this song comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nsjbKd-H4Y&feature=related"]YouTube - Frank Zappa - Help , I´m A Rock 1966