Feds vs. Amateur Science

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by EllisDTripp, May 30, 2006.

1. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry.html

(Continued in next post)

2. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

(Continued)

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I just read something about this on the net today...but now can't find it.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here it is:

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry.html

5. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

Its a little bit scary, thankfully its not like that over here, and I guess that was probably an isoalted case or at least I hope so. Seems a bit like banning cars because a few people might use them for hit and runs.

6. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

A provision in the 2002 Homeland Security Act mandated background checks and licensing requirements for model-rocket enthusiasts on the grounds that ammonium perchlorate fuel is an explosive; the Justice Department argued that terrorists could deploy model rockets to shoot down commercial airliners.

That is total paranoid nonsense. Anybody that has ever flow model rockets would know that hitting a moving target with one is almost impossible. How many years did it take engineers in the defense industry to develope guidence systems for missles? Decades. To think that is even close to realistic is absurd.

7. guy

guy Senior Member

if you want to persue an education in science it may be looking out from america to gain it. they did all this in the uk many moons ago along with the rest of the education system.

shooting down aircraft with hard to manufacture, temperamental amateur rockets????? aren't high powered rifles and other lethal weapons more adequately provisioned to do such a better job and much more easily obtained???? if the terrorists wanted to bring more aircraft down could they not just shoot them down??? i doubt attacking the education system will do much good. any way by looks of things the american government wants everyone to start at year zero in the name of freedom.

8. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I am reminded that the old Soviet Union would classify copies of Popular Mechanics as state secrets.