Fayetteville anyone??

Discussion in 'North and South Carolina' started by sisters_soul, Jun 1, 2010.

1. sisters_soul

sisters_soul Member

Anyone?!?!?

2. vtsyr

vtsyr Member

I second that, I'll be moving to the Fayetteville area this August and will be in search of some like-minded peeps.

How's the community in the area? I've heard Asheville is a east coast hippie haven, but I've heard nothing about the Fayetteville area.

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Some of the people who've lived there refer to it as 'Fayettenam'. I think that's a gross exaggeration compared to cities elsewhere in the country.

4. vtsyr

vtsyr Member

Fayettenam? Lol, care to enlighten me as to the meaning of the nickname? The ideas it's conjuring up in my mind aren't promising...

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Apparently some areas aren't so great to be in - high crime and what not. But really, I have a good buddy of mine who has lived there for several years and he hasn't seen anything sketch. I think it's just certain parts.

6. vtsyr

vtsyr Member

Right on...yeah I've read on a couple of other blogs that the city has a high crime rate...any recommendations on areas/neighborhoods around the city worth living? Obviously I'd like to keep my distance from scetch neighborhoods, while also (hopefully) finding a niche of progressive, intelligent, liberal people.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

i used to visit my friend when he was based in Fayetteville in the army. I was really not impressed at all, its your typical run-down base town.

8. vtsyr

vtsyr Member

Yeah, the community appears to be virtually non-existent there. What about in Raleigh? It's only a stone's throw down the road from Fayetteville. I gotta believe there's some evolved minds floating about in the area.

9. trendyacid

trendyacid Guest

fayettenam was the nickname given to it by Bragg soldiers post Vietnam area. seeing as to them you were just as likely to be killed there as in Fayetteville. I dont think its that bad. although i havent been there in years.

10. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Haha coulda sworn it said fattyville

11. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I've got a friend in Fayetteville.
    I have no idea why he stays. I've never heard him say anything good about the place.

12. Halifaxx

Halifaxx Guest

I live there now. Im in the Army, lol.
    its not my favorite place to be, that's why I leave to hang out in either Myrtle Beach
    or Raleigh when I get the chance.

13. patrickmollohan

patrickmollohan Guest

Yeah, Fayetteville/Raeford/Hope Mills is no good. At all. It's not just the crime, but the narrow-minded idiots that populate here that love to cut you off and go 20 mph under the speedlimit (which, btw, they also find the need to come to a COMPLETE STOP to make a turn) and label you as a Satanist if you do not attend church (which you find on every corner on every street). You will not find any form of acceptance here if you have any opinion that wasn't formed by a preacher.

14. pitbullmoma

pitbullmoma Member

I lived in Fayettville for 2 and a half yrs. and out side of Hope Mills for almost 5 yrs. and now live about 34 miles from Fayettville in Roseboro N.C.,I hated living in Fay. becouse of the crime and it is so conjested,driveing is crazy becouse of Fort Brag many people from all over the place.That in it's self would be great but it is also the middle of the Bible belt and some are not as exccepting of different beliefs and different way's of life and living.I like where I am becouse I live in the county and it is nice and peaceful but I think I would be happier living closer to Willmington where the people seem friendlier and more excepting of different ways of life and all.It's about living natture,the sun and water,just lighter feeling.But anyway welcome to the the area and I hope you have a wonderful experence living here:)

15. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm not all that excited living here, but it's not that bad. The downtown area needs some cleaning up though. It's better than it used to be, but needs work still. I agree with the comments about the traffic congestion and shitty drivers. There is truly no place safe, every city has pros and cons, and no matter how nice and peaceful a neighborhood may seem, crime will eventually find its way there. The thing that helps get you through are good neighbors, and I'm fortunate to have some where I live. There's a very useful neighborhood app you can download to your iPhone or iPad called "Nextdoor", and this has been a useful tool in helping neighbors look out for each other. Information sharing on crime in the area, community events, services, etc. Makes life a little better around here.

16. Fingers Malone

Fingers Malone Members

I was born in Fayetteville in the late 1950's. Soon as I turned 18 I joined the navy and never returned to live. I go back once a year to visit family but that's about it.