Favorite or Best “Ancient Empire City”?

Discussion in 'History' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

Question. Out of all the ancient empires in ancient history? Which do you think was the most successful Empire? Or most successful city in ancient times? For me, I’d say either Ancient Rome or Mesopotamia? Or maybe even Ancient Egypt!! What about you? What’s your favorite empire set in ancient times?

DrRainbow, Todd56 and Captain Scarlet like this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Well my Favourite has got to be Carthage .

As a wargamer I hate everything Roman .:)

Carthage was a great rival to Rome and the Rotten Romans didn't like it . It was a very successful Seaport and Merchant city . The Carthaginian Empire was vast and dwarfed the then Republican Rome and more successful .

Through Hannibal ( not to be confused with the film! ) one of the great Ancient Generals , the Carthaginian Empire took Spain and was ambitious enough to take on the might of Republican Rome . After some success they were eventually repelled and pushed back into Carthage due to lack of reinforcements as their own lines were too far extended . However the presence of a Carthaginian Army on Roman soil caused panic and required their own top general Scipio to eventually defeat the Carthaginian army on their own soil and Carthage became an important component of Rome being a gateway to Africa. IIRC it is were modern Tunisia is today .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Echtwelniet, Todd56 and ~Zen~ like this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Depends on what you call successful.

I've always liked the reign of Ashoka of the Maurya Empire of India, after he converted to Buddhism.

~Zen~, Todd56 and Captain Scarlet like this.
  4. When I think of successful ancient empires my thought goes straight to Roman. There's longevity, a great city, architecture, infrastructure, art, the beginnings of a democratic form of government, military power, expansion and christianity.

The Mongols had a great leader and amassed vast territory leading to the crusades era, a favorite historical subject of mine. And while not being classified as an empire, the vikings sure raised a lot of hell and did some great exploration, didn't they?

5. Captain Scarlet

The Vikings in particular discovered America and so the old school history books can be ripped up .

Leif Erickson in the 10 century discover the Canadian Province of Newfoundland . There is circumstantial evidence that they went further into North America.

Below is the Canadian settlement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Echtwelniet, MeAgain and Todd56 like this.
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The successes of 'Ancient' civilisations is tricky.
    -For by their nature, they were Top, of their day
    They are different ways of looking at this
    Geographic size, Financial wealth (taken from the people and/or land in conquest) Longevity and lasing influence.
    If one looks at it from a Contnental view
    In Europe ('My Continent)
    The Greek scholars, mathematicians and Artists certainly hold the most academical record of achievement.
    The might of the Romans in organiastion, construction and Powerful structures have had a strong basis of rigidity of Political status.
    -- One also has to pay due respect to the 5 Country pack of Nordic (Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Iceland)
    however there are other Continents where opine would differ,...
    E.G. The Egyptians, Persian, Chinese and Native (North and South) Americans, Aztec, Incan Mayan and Indian - African, Asian, Russian 'empires of the day - all have claim of success
    And then there is the Atlantian legend. - Where is was, how large it was and what was left upon their 'departure'
    (Given the similarity of civilizations i.e.Mysterious Civilizations: Is There a Connection between Medicine and Architecture in Ancient Egypt and Peru? - PMC (nih.gov))
    On has to wonder not so mich on what we do know, but moreover, what we do not know = I.M.O.

wyldwynd, ~Zen~, MeAgain and 2 others like this.
  7. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Got to be Egypt for me. I love the way they went out of their way to worship science. This is one passionate caveman!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DrRainbow

They have spectacular spaceships too. ;)

Captain Scarlet, Candy Gal and ~Zen~ like this.
  9. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

I also thought of some more right off the top of my head: Babylonian, Aztec, Persian Empire, Ottoman Empire.

on my Xbox one, I was playing “Assassins Creed Origins”—That’s what gave me idea for question. Whole game takes place in Ancient Egypt. You play as character named “Bayek” I believe?

10. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

All empires seem to rise and eventually fall... even in 'modern' times.

How does one deem an empire successful?

By wealth? Knowledge? Amount of territory or size of population?

It is interesting being here as yet another empire falls... well, several seem to be falling all at once, IMHO.

11. DrRainbow

I bet love is the key to an empire's survival. Eternal love wins Terra.

Captain Scarlet and ~Zen~ like this.
  12. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Oh this thread is interesting:)

etherea, ~Zen~ and DrRainbow like this.
  13. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Deep thoughts... I love it!

I think the Mayans were successful, until climate change.

There was an interesting culture going in the Southwest United States also... very primitive, but survived against all odds for centuries in places like Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde.

Being in Mexico, I'd like to explore more of the Mayan ruins, but they are far from here and travel is so perilous nowadays.

[​IMG]
    Mayan temples are awesome!

But on the other side they did like ripping hearts from virgins and doing other unspeakable acts in offerings to their 'gods.'

14. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

My brother-in-law went. Well worth a visit.

DrRainbow and ~Zen~ like this.
  15. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I have no favourite. I love them all.

Don't mention The British Empire. lol

16. Captain Scarlet

Dont you start lol

~Zen~ and DrRainbow like this.
  17. The British and Spanish Empires have had a huge impact on life as we know it. They're not ancient yet but they will be some day if mankind survives!

~Zen~, Captain Scarlet and DrRainbow like this.
  18. Captain Scarlet

The Ottoman Empire was one of the greatest empires on planet earth

[​IMG]

Not quite ancient starting in 1299 and only ended relatively recently in the First World War as they sided with Germany .

At its height covered over 1.8 Million Km .
    At its apex, the Ottoman empire included Bulgaria, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel and the Palestinian territories, Macedonia, Romania, Syria, parts of Arabia and the north coast of Africa.

Echtwelniet, ~Zen~ and DrRainbow like this.
  19. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

I love the empire we are in “today’ which consists of civilization of yesterday and today ..those who hold the ethic and fiber of integrity to enter in to today and carry the fiber of yesterday to bring sense with the chain of heritage of what works to build a functional society where the essentials of life are abundant and sustainable. There will always be very loud voices and soft whispers that make up every day ..there will always be questions that demand unmediated answers there will always be something to wonder to about that give more detailed answers. There are inventors and scientists teachers dreamers to carry on and develop a Society with enough diversity to make your day beautiful for an inheritance for us as children (no matter who old you are ..you are a child in today) and for the grandchildren of tomorrow .

scratcho, ~Zen~ and DrRainbow like this.
  20. BandA

BandA Members

Would have to be Ancient Rome for us. A week staying in a Villa on the Aventine Hill during the Bacchanalia would be fun:D

~Zen~ and DrRainbow like this.