Favorite Classic Films?

Discussion in 'Classic Movies' started by dollydagger, Dec 19, 2007.

1. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

Not from the 80s on.....I'm talking real classic movies. Like the stuff you get on TCM (my favorite channel!)

some of my faves:
    Cool Hand Luke (1967)
    Gilda (1947)
    Vivacious Lady (1938)
    Doctor Zhivago (1965)
    The Barefoot Contessa (1954)
    Rebel Without A Cause (1955)
    The Wild One (1947)
    The Harder They Fall (1956)
    Angels With Dirty Faces (1938)
    and many, many more.....

What are your favorite classic movies? Wondering if anyone else has a slight obsession with old movies........

2. Jon-Erik

Jon-Erik Member

No one seems to be responding so I'll have a go at this. I, too, am a huge fan of classic films and I mean those made in the 1960s or earlier. First of all I'm a big Judy Garland fan. Gotta love Judy! I like "Meet Me in St. Louis" but "I Could Go on Singing" is good too. Then there's Jean Harlow and the Marx Brothers. Dollydagger, I'm so happy to hear you're a fan of the classics too. Maybe we could be friends? I'd love to talk more about this with you!

1 person likes this.
  3. dollydagger

Hi Jon-Erik!!!! Man, I was getting worried there.....I cant believe that no one else has shown appreciation for old movies, because, (as we know) they dont make them like they used to - We are totally friends! I'll talk old movies all day any day.....

4. Jon-Erik

Jon-Erik Member

Oh boy! Where do you want to start? Right now I’m enthralled with my Jean Harlow movie. She was a blond bombshell movie actress of the 1930’s and her life story is quite interesting. She came from a well to do family, was close to her mother, and didn’t seem to take acting that seriously. It was just a pastime for her. Her movies gave audiences an escape during the Depression and she specialized in tough, gutsy roles that radiated sexiness. Then the Production Code went into effect and she had to start playing “nicer” roles. "I despise a dirty joke its true, unless it’s told by someone who knows how to tell it" as Groucho Marx would say. Do you have a favorite movie or performer?

5. dollydagger

As a matter of fact, I just painted a portrait of jean harlow...if I can figure out how to minimize it so I can post it and you can see it. Didnt she die really young because her mother was a christian scientist and jean had a kidney infection or something like that, and her mother wouldnt let her get medical help?

My favorites? Rita Hayworth, Ida Lupino, Ava Gardner, I love love love Cyd Charisse
    Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, Robert Mitchum, just to name a few.....who are your favorites?

6. Jon-Erik

Jon-Erik Member

I like Humphrey Bogart too. Have you ever seen "The Big Sleep?" That's one of my favorites. Also, I know I've mentioned the Marx Brothers before but I just adore them. I like Groucho's quote: "time wounds all heels." Or maybe John Lennon said that. Anyway, Groucho was quite the wise guy.

7. Help!_1965

Help!_1965 Member

old movies are great, i watch TCM alot!
    here's a list of some of my favorites in no special order:

1. all the beatles movies
    2. Kelly's Heroes 1970
    3. Penelope 1966
    4. The Great Dictator 1940
    5. Them! 1955
    6. Forbidden Planet 1956
    7. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 1966
    8. The Haunting 1963
    9. Psycho 1960
    10. Lady Vanishes 1938
    11. Planet Of The Apes 1968
    12. Some Like It Hot 1959
    13. Att Angöra En Brygga 1965
    14. Äppelkriget 1971
    15. Kalle På Spången 1939
    16. The Fearless Vampire Killers 1966/67
    17. Dracula, Prince Of Darkness 1966
    18. Nosferatu, Eine Symphonie Des Grauens 1922
    19. The Party 1968
    20. The Wrong Arm Of The Law 1963
    21. The Pink Panther 1964
    22. Black Sabbath 1963
    23. Bullitt 1969

8. dollydagger

hello Help! Glad to meet another fellow TCM fan!

9. dollydagger

"The Harder They Fall" and "The Barefoot Contessa" are probably my two favorite Bogie movies

10. Help!_1965

Help!_1965 Member

hello there Dollydagger! :)
    ...have you seen the movie Cleopatra 1963 ??? i've heard about it, and i know that Elizabeth Taylor stars in it, i hope to get to see it someday.

11. neuroptican

neuroptican ...hadouken!

Not that old, but definitely a classic, The Godfather. Dracula with Bela Lugosi is amazing, and I enjoy some old German Expressionism films like The Golem, Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and Metropolis.

12. ctsmoke

ctsmoke Member

-- The Hustler (vastly underappreciated, & Paul Newman's best)
    -- GWTW (aside from the racism; it's also got one of the best all-time movie scores)
    -- Casablanca
    -- The Maltese Falcon
    -- All Quiet on the Western Front
    -- The Apartment (a great movie for cynics, even tho it came out of the late '50s / early '60s)
    -- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
    -- Mean Streets
    -- Rear Window
    -- Sundance & The Kid

13. dollydagger

The Hustler is a great frickin' movie....I cant believe that Paul Newman got an Oscar for the not-as-good sequel "The Color of Money". Paul in "The Hustler" is about as good as one can poissibly get

14. ctsmoke

ctsmoke Member

Sorry -- Butch Kassidy & the Sundance Kid. I should know better.

15. Jon-Erik

Jon-Erik Member

I wanted to tell you all of this groovy flick I caught at the art museum. It was an old silent movie from 1927 filmed in glorious black and white. Music was provided by a real live piano player. The movie was called “Chicago.” It was about a flapper named Roxie, a little girl who goes all wrong. She was adorable, yet manipulative. Her devoted husband Amos works as a cigarette salesman (15 cents a pack). Roxie likes drinking, smoking, flirting and dancing to music. She also likes to spend money on clothes and makeup. A blond headed vamp doing the Charleston is just what the silver screen needs and how Roxie personified the bathtub gin, what the-hell-era that fell with the stock market. Roxie enters into an affair with a swell guy but gets angry with him, when he treats her rough, and eventually shoots the guy dead. Her world comes crashing down in an ecstasy of despair until the coppers and newsboys let her know that she can become famous so like any Batman villain she seeks publicity for horror. The rest of the movie follows her incarceration and trial where, with the help of a flamboyant and gentlemanly attorney, she tries to pass herself off as a brave, sweet, and noble daughter of virtue who happens to be quite seductive. The film captures the look and feel of the 1920’s and is filled with its own unique words and slang that appear on printed slides. This will go over big, on the double, see? Most of the movie though depends on expressions and movements to get the lurid, spicy story across. They really had to act in those days. You know this whole scene could be the start of a trend. I think these silent movies will really catch on. Who needs sound when you have the persistence of vision? Does anyone else dig silent movies?

16. inkblob

inkblob Member

Wow! Classics...
    Ben Hur - 1959
    Sergeant York - 1941
    Casablanca - 1942
    It's a Wonderful Life - 1946
    The Day The Earth Stood Still - 1951
    Citizen Kane - 1941
    Monty Python's Holy Grail - 1975
    Star Wars - 1977

Whew!

17. ladydragon282

ladydragon282 Member

I love Monty Python! The Holy Grail being one of my favorites :)

I am also a huge Gone with the Wind fan, as well as Star Wars, and The Taming of the Shrew with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton. Classic, and beautiful to watch. I like most of the movies that have been done of Shakespeare's plays. I also liked National Velvet, 1944 for that one. And The Wizard of Oz, I watch it every year :)

18. jinackii

jinackii Member

I dig a lot of old british movies...David Lean stuff (Brief Encounter, Great Expectations), Ealing studio classics (Kind Hearts and Coronets) and Powell and Pressburger movies (The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp)

19. jinackii

jinackii Member

Those too. Also old animation, like Gerdie the Dinosaur and Prince Achmed.

20. Rael

Rael The Ruiner

Seven Samurai - 1954
    Rashomon - 1950
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 1948
    The Grapes of Wrath - 1940
    12 Angry Men - 1957
    The Oxbow Incident -1943
    On The Waterfront - 1954
    Casablanca - 1942

I've always been kinda confused as to what exactly constitutes a classic, and if there's a cutoff line as far as when they were made(Modern Classics?). But for my money, these are all classics.
    :worthy: