Favorite Bhagavad Gita Translation?

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by asilos vulnerado, May 24, 2007.

1. asilos vulnerado

asilos vulnerado Senior Member

Hey, I'm looking to buy a copy of the Bhagivad Gita instead of just getting from the library like I did last year, so I was just wondering if there is any particularly good translation of it I should look into

2. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Penguin Classics
    Sky Light Publications

Avoid at all costs:

the translation by Barbera Stoler Miller
    Dover

3. asilos vulnerado

asilos vulnerado Senior Member

Avoid the Barbara one or the other ones?
    Im pretty sure you meant the barbara one but im just making sure:)

4. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

avoid the barbera one (its awful) and the dover one. The first two are my favourites. :)

5. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

[​IMG][​IMG]
    BHAGAVAD GITA
    A New English Translation
    Harmony Books, 2000

Stephen Mitchell is widely known for his ability to make ancient masterpieces thrillingly new, to step in where many have tried before and create versions that are definitive for our time. He now brings to the Bhagavad Gita his gift for breathing new life into sacred texts.

The Bhagavad Gita is universally acknowledged as one of the world’s literary and spiritual masterpieces. It is the core text of the Hindu tradition and has been treasured by American writers from Emerson and Thoreau to T. S. Eliot, who called it the greate st philosophical poem after the Divine Comedy. There have been more than two hundred English translations of the Gita, including many competent literal versions, but not one of them is a superlative literary text in its own right.

Now all that has changed. Stephen Mitchell’s Bhagavad Gita sings with the clarity, the vigor, and the intensity of the original Sanskrit. It will, as William Arrowsmith said of Mitchell’s translation of The Sonnets to Orpheus, “instantly make every other rendering obsolete.”

6. Pronature69

Pronature69 Member

Jack Hawley

The Bhagavad Gita - A Walktrough for Westerners

New World Library, Novato, Cal.

7. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Yogananda's is my favorite, though
    it's very long and about $60.00 for
    the two harback volumes together.
    But well worth it, in my opinion. -

8. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i like the yogananda translation too. it's really good. and i like the prabhupada translation. i haven't ever read a really BAD one though...

9. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

The prabhupada translation was where I
    started, of course :) I imagine a LOT of
    people do though.
    Prism, have you read Yogananda's Second
    Coming of Christ?

10. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

I use Swami Chinmayananda's translation and commentary - The Holy Gita, available through Chinmaya Publications. I found Prabhupada's translation to be inaccurate - even with my limited Sanskrit skills I could find errors in his work.

11. philosophy

philosophy Guest

12. WRX_STI

WRX_STI Member

the "Bhagavad gita As It is"

the best one, I read it...I have the hindi, and english version