Fat people running

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I see it all the time, people who are more than just a little overweight attempting to run, looking like they're about to keel over and die at any moment. I don't get it. What about walking and modifying your diet to lose weight, then running only once you're in shape to run without running the risk of killing yourself? Why do people who are in no shape to be out running insist on running?

2. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I would imagine because running is good for the body and the soul. I admire people like that for getting out and running. Good on them for trying to be better. Everyone has to start somewhere!

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Because they don't care about people like you judging them.

I liked you better when you were fat.

4. Maybe they are trying to lose weight? It's better than seeing them binge on food..

5. porkstock41

porkstock41 stay positive and love your life ~311

how do you know that they haven't also modified their diet?

i doubt they are seriously at risk of death from running.

6. that.

7. Pressed_Rat

Yeah, but you're supposed to work your way up. I don't see what the purpose of someone who weighs 200+ lbs running is, because they're only going to end up burning out, and then they will never lose the weight. The idea that running will help you lose weight faster is a myth. An hour's worth of fast or even brisk walking is more beneficial than these fat people who run with a sloppy stride for a half hour. That's not even running. I don't know what it is.

8. *MAMA*

Or maybe they just LIKE running. Just because they seem to be struggling, doesn't mean they're not enjoying getting stronger and better.

9. Pressed_Rat

lol @ people taking offense to what I said. It was only a simple observation.

10. *MAMA*

Nonsense. when I was super overweight I started running. I did intervals until I could actually run for miles.

Here's another idea: maybe they're not trying to lose weight, and they just enjoy exercise. No need to be so judgemental and shallow.

11. I don't know... I just give credit to people for trying. Yeah, you can burn out if you start too fast but whatever, I'm not judging someone else.

12. Pressed_Rat

I give people credit for trying. I just think they're going about it the wrong way. But perhaps that's just me.

13. *MAMA*

Maybe just the way you originally worded it was a bit harsh. But seriously, saying things like that is what makes people afraid to even start. No one wants to be judged.

14. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

They only look like they are dying, they'll be a'ight. ;)

The stress your bones and muscles receive when running causes micro piezo-electric discharges that benefit health in a way that diet alone cannot. It's one of the reasons people get pleasure from running, even a little. Any strenuous exercise causes this, and I believe it's the main reason exercise is beneficial to health. These electric currents are part of the "chi" energy of our bodys, and is what maintains our mind /body integrity.

I'll agree though, some people think they gotta take the hard way instead of slowly working into it.:coffee:

15. Yea, I know that if you jump into things too fast you run the risk of burning out.

Yep, that.
    And I'm just sayin I give people credit also for not worrying about people laughing and pointing at them for being fat and out in public running...
    because some people would be worried about that.

16. Pressed_Rat

Thank you! That was the point I was trying to make. Unfortunately, people reacted like I was criticizing them directly.

17. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

true that, i used to run only in the middle of the night for this very reason: no-one about.

18. Pressed_Rat

Hell, I am sure people judged me when I was fat and power walking in the halls at work. I didn't care.

19. Well, I didn't feel personally judged but I have been a person with weight to lose that started going to a gym and was worried about all the big, strong, buff people looking at me and judging me...
    and did it anyway but yea...

when I see someone who has weight to lose/a fat person working out... I think good for them.

20. Pressed_Rat

Yeah, so do I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.