Fat Comments/Thin Comments

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by seamonster66, Jan 31, 2005.

1. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

This girl that I know but don't like came up to me the other night and said "huh, you look thinner than usual" which i don't, I'm the same...but being a thin person, it almost sounds insulting like "damn, you might die soon," or something.

well I didn't say what came to my mind, which was "you look just as fat as usual" because i don't want to be like that...but it brought about a dilemma, sort of a Larry David moment if you watch Curb your Enthusiasm....why is it not insulting if you are thin and someone says you look thinner, but it is if you tell someone they look fat?

2. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

if a fat person says you look thinner, it's probably intended as a compliment. you may have even GAINED weight, but you look healthier, and therefore, in the skewed vision of a fat person, thinner.

3. mynameiskc

or they could just be jealous, and irritated that you can lose weight easily. depends on the tone of voice.

4. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

probably because people think being thin is everything and to some people its so important. When a lot of the time its not because your either too thin or are just obessed about it and have an eating disorder. I think most people overlook the fact that big is beautiful too. Or atleats with a lot of people. if you ever notice, a lot of times plus sized models are actually very pretty, but not looks upon as attractive because of their weight, which is complete bullshit.

5. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

I think it's because if someone says "hey, you look thin" people automatically think that people think they're usually fat and today is some sort of miraculous exception. I dunno... people occasionally say that to me and I wonder why they're looking at me enough to notice rofl although sometimes, if said at the right time and said the right way, it can be a compliment. But to answer your question better...it's a societal thing. Thin = good, not thin = fat = bad.

6. seamonster66

Well, this person doesn't like me because I had a brief relationship with her 3 years ago and ended it.

After she said it, she asked if that sounded fucked up, and well, to me it did...it was the little chuckle she did that bothered me. Seemed backhanded.

A thin person can be as insecure about their weight as a fatter one.

7. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Hmmm an evil little chuckle? Sounds like she's messing with your head, Monster. That's not very nice. Tell actually you put on a little weight, and then tell her you gained it in your penis.

8. mynameiskc

ah, the bitch. you shoulda insulted her. but you're probably a good person.

9. seamonster66

Another thing...I don't think thin is really seen as positive for a male....I mean there are girls who like thin guys, but then there are plenty of people who will make fun of you for it as well

10. seamonster66

Its one of those moments when i wish I had just come out and said what was on my mind, but yea, wasn't drunk enough to escape the nice guy curse that god hath given me.
    By the way, no offense to any weight type in this thread..

11. mynameiskc

well, there's this really great girl the works with my husband who makes a point of telling my man that he looks like he's lost some weight. he was already very fit. but to her it's a true compliment. i guess intentions really are everything.

12. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

Are you insecure about your weight Seamonster?

I'm up and down with mine but lately after reading what Pressed Rat had to say about appearances and what I read in this other book I'm reading, I think my problems are not about my weight. They are more about me being happy with me. I'd rather be content and happy on the inside because I know when I am my smiles brighter and I look healthier. If someone doesn't like the way I look, don't look at me. I like the way I look.

How many times have you, or anyone else who reads this, try changing your appearance only to find you couldn't stand the way you looked or felt about yourself. I've done that too many damn times. I'm done with that.

Seamonster, personally I like the way you look. Your very handsome. In fact you could be the next GQ Guy. Maybe your ex misses being able to look at you.

13. seamonster66

I mean, i guess maybe i am a little...growing up where i did you had to be a bad ass football player to be normal.....When I've travelled to other countries I have felt normal size, like in England say...

Its sort of incredible how childhood events stick in your subconcious, I did get some shit at highschool for not being a jock...I just skipped off to the music world where I was just as thin as everyone else.

Yea, my past events have made me more sensitive to comments about looking thinner...definitely

14. psyche

psyche fun for the whole family

i personally don't take offence when someone says i look thinner than usual, or even if they say i look too thin. what bugs me is when they feel the need to say 'i can't stand to see ribs and hip bones poking out, it's fucking nasty'. i mean it's just a gross to see a mass of rolls or an abundance of cellulite. let's just say extremes are unappealing to most people and leave it at that.

15. sooty_the_kat

sooty_the_kat Senior Member

I've gotten paid out about my weight my whole life, people have called me anorexic and things like that, ive caught people bitching about me when they think im not there ...

i dont really give a shit what they think, and neither should you.

16. seamonster66

I think their is a big difference when people are commeting on a male or females thin-ness....

When in reference to a female, it seems more like jealousy while to a man it means something negative, like shouldn't you be a big badass instead of this skinny pussy.

It doesn't affect me much at this point, just kind of a starnge world we live in....or actually not strange, purely surface level bullshit.

17. mynameiskc

sea, you're just plain fucking sexy. i'd totally hit you up for sex, and i would be grateful just to have you touch me..

there, how's that? any better? it's true.

18. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

That is a very cool quote :)

I have often felt that way about a lot of topics.

19. seamonster66

hahah that does make me feel better, but i wasn't fishing here! I think you are pretty sexy yourself.

I've come to the conclusion that the offense i took has everything to do with my childhood and the person who said it.

maybe it wasn't the same growing up in California, doesn't really seem like football jocks rule the school there

20. mynameiskc

nah. it's the same, to some degree. but it's true that a variety is more accepted. after all, it's practically a 2 to 1 ratio of females to males.