Fantasy Book/Series Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by TheOnionMan, Jan 8, 2012.

1. TheOnionMan

TheOnionMan Member

I want to start a thread to help people search out new fantasy books and series to start on recommendation from others. I'll start with two suggestions of series I have started and found quite enjoyable. Please contribute to help others navigate the vast waters that is the fantasy genre. And avoid all the flotsam and jetsam that so commonly mar the genre. Note you do not have to give a detailed description of the novels/series. Just a title and author is quite sufficient if you so wish.

First I would recommend is a relatively recent series by the author Peter V. Brett. The first book in the series is called The Warded Man, or The Painted Man. Depending upon where you live. The series is called the Demon Cycle, and the most recent published is the 2nd book "The Desert Spear". The series is still on going and fans like myself are desperately awaiting the third installment. Please no DWD epic wait!!! The strongest attribute of these books are the characters. The author creates characters that you can deeply connect with on a human level. It is also one of the most strangely unique stories I have read in a long time. Basically the first novel follows the POV of three characters that live in a world plagues by demons, called corelings, in the book that rise out of the earth each and every night to attack and feast upon humans. The novels explore a world that is coping with this reality. Human population is sparse and disjointed, living in constant fear.But really the books are much more than that, really exploring deep issues relating to warfare, human unity, and love in the truest sense of the word. Warning not a series for the faint of hearted. If you cannot deal with scenes of rape, gore, and violence than do not begin it. None of these are used in a ill manner, just used as story devices. Definitely check it out if you haven't already. Rumors are that it will be made into a movie soon as well. So read it before hollywood ruins it!

Second I would recommend is a series by Robert V.S. Redick called The Chathrand Voyage. The first book is called " The Red Wolf Conspiracy". Three novels are out currently. The books take place mainly on an immense ship that is essentially a floating city called the Chathrand. It starts out a bit slow, but is one of those books that pulls you in as you go along. Again the characters are the strong points here. The author is skilled in characterization. Also the hyper detailed imaginative world that the author created. No rehashed orcs and elves here. A real maritime novel, but not one that leaves you in confusion at all the naval terms. Completely reader friendly to those of us whose only experience floating on something in the ocean is a surfboard or kayak.I'm not going to say much more about the novels because I don't want to spoil anything and it would be really hard not to. But definitely give this one a shot. One of the better series I have begun in a long time.

2. jemini22

jemini22 Guest

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm definitely going to check out the first series you mentioned. Based on that description, I would have to suggest the Gone Series by Michael Grant. It's based in California in a town called Perdido Beach where suddenly everyone over the age of 15 disappears and all the kids are trapped alone in the town. It definitely features scenes of violence, but with a supernatural twist. There are 5 books out now and there should be one more to complete the series as far as I know!

3. theAvenger

theAvenger Guest

I've gotta recommend this new book i heard about a couple of days ago. Its the Harnessers: Revolution, but its only on Kindle and Kindle mobile. It's about these three teens in new york in 2019 that discover theyre apart of of this bloodline that have the powers of the universe, but this cult group is abusing their powers to destroy EVERYTHING and rule all governments. I gotta say i was surprised at how good it was considering today's YA, but i could NOT put it down with all the freakin action everywhere. its crazy http://www.amazon.com/The-Harnesser...qid=1355428159&sr=8-1&keywords=the+harnessers

4. JoanofSnarc

JoanofSnarc Member

Not a new series by a long shot, but if you haven't already read The Gunslinger series by Stephen King, you won't be disappointed. It's quite a departure from his usual stories and what I've read so far comes as close to being literature as he's come. Either way, damned good story. I tried reading it a couple of decades ago and could never get into it. I couldn't put it down this time around. Funny how that happens. Your life and perspective changes and something you didn't really like before becomes utterly gripping.

5. yahoohippegm

yahoohippegm Member