Famous Atheists or Agnostics through history

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Shane99X, May 25, 2006.

1. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

2. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

Libertine

3. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Most of the Popes.

4. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

Douglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Lewis Black, Richard Branson, Berkeley Breathed, Warren Buffett, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Dick Cavett, Noam Chomsky, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, David Deutsch, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Harlan Ellison, Brian Eno, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Seth Green, Robert Heinlein, Nat Hentoff, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Angelina Jolie, Wendy Kaminer, Diane Keaton, Neil Kinnock, Michael Kinsley, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Marvin Minsky, Julianne Moore, Desmond Morris, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Steven Pinker, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Joe Rogan, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Bruce Sterling, Howard Stern, J. Michael Straczynski, Julia Sweeney, Matthew Sweet, Annika Sörenstam, Teller, Studs Terkel, Tom Tomorrow, Linus Torvalds, Eddie Vedder, Paul Verhoeven, Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Sarah Vowell, James Watson, Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak, hundreds more...

5. thumontico

thumontico Member

seth green from family guy, etc?

6. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

libertine

u must have 100 names there.
    LOL

Occam

7. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Carl Sagan, Ayn Rand, Thomas Paine, Roger Ebert, Albert Einstein, David Gilmore, Nick Mason, Clive Barker, Abraham Lincoln, Alex Cox, Napoleon Bonaparte, W. C. Fields, Edgar Allan Poe, Marie-Curie, Margot Kidder, Charles Darwin, Marlon Brando, Arthur C. Clarke, Michael Crichton, Björk, Dave Matthews, just to name a few more but the lists go on...

Benjamin Franklin - “The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.”

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that's a trip. i knew a dave berry once. don't know if its the same guy or not but it could have been. met ellison a couple of times. once at a con and another time him and then governor jerry brown were doing a kind of inspection tour of this outfit i was working for at the time. and alan konigsberg i might actualy be somehow related to. konigsberg was my mother's natural father's name.

=^^=
    .../\...

9. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

John Lennon!!!!

Don't Forget Him!!!!

10. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

I've heard everything now....

11. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

12. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Jesus

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that song comes very close to being my own 'religeon'.
    i actualy believe a day will come when a majority of people understand it

if not conscously, at least, and perhapse more importantly, as the subconscous ambient

replacing the relatively destructive present one, once that is allowed to fade, as all things eventualy do

=^^=
    .../\...

14. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Themnax

Yes

Occam

15. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I can't see Einstein, who often used God in his comments, always in a positive light, was a true atheist. maybe pantheist? Also Arthur C. Clark certainly had an interest in the occult, and Ben Franklin publically made a toast to God, thanking him for beer. I am not surprised at most of the names, though the great majority of my all time heroes are there.... if it is true. How can it be? I am not one, yet most all my heroes are? I read that Darwin was Christian, but don't know. Jolie seems spiritual, and if the whole list is correct, then,
    Libertine..... I'm crushed....... stunned ......shocked and stunned, yes. Maybe its wrong?
    Billy Joel? river of dreams guy?
    dang.
    oh yeah, another thing, Lennon? He wasnt Christian, thats a given, but atheist? He once said he believed dreams were as real as waking time, and that he believed in everything, dragons, angels, elves, unicorns, etc., could be real, and that anything is possible. I think he said he will do so till they are disproved. He was very spiritual, and consulted occult experts with Yoko, and seemed to believe some of what he was told, ie number 8 being unlucky for him. It turns out it was.........

16. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Blackguard

Greets..long time no hear.

Are you flaming lennon personally?..we dont do that here remember.
    We only comment on what is said. NO MORE
    Who cares if he believed fairies lived in his pockets and his mother
    was a vampire.

The lyrics occam posted are what we want...no?
    [well occam does, he wants humanity to be as one. together]

Occam

17. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

True Lennon was involved in occult, but yes he was an atheist in that he didn't actually believe in 'God'.

18. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I consider John Winston Ono Lennon one of my most admired people. I believe in life after death, guardian angels, astral travel, and precognition, to name a few. So, that said, I appreciate Lennon's comments, and was not dissing him. I would flame Hitler if I felt the need, but doubt I'd ever do so to John. His love affair with Yoko is one for the history books, and I salute him. When he died, a local pastor dissed him in the newspaper, saying basically, 'good riddance'. My friend and I personally visited the pastor at his church and told him to his face that we didn't appreciate that.

19. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Bg13

Wish occam had been there
    Maybe to quote a bible saying that the pastor calls the word of god.
    Maybe, nail it to the front door.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1
    If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house.

Occam

20. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

james randi