Family Worried + New to the Veggies

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by JustAFemaleGeek, Jan 6, 2019.

1. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

I am a teenager, I cook quite a bit actually, and last time I ate beans I was really really sick. Nut free only applies to school. I can def have nuts a home.

I think I have found my new favourite veggie meal. Roasted mixed veg over lemon quinoa. I considered having it for my brithday meal, but I think my sister would start a protest.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Here’s the trick, have the roasted veg over lemon quinoa, but let the fam add dead things to their plates.

You know what the rest of the world calls veg food? Side dishes.
    It’s all about the sauces, really.

I went veg in 1980 in Texas. No support, less information. It can be done.

3. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

I did that with pad thai. They had chicken, I had baked tofu.
    Guess I'll be loading up on the "sides" then!
    My mother will protest me no matter what I do. I'm real lucky to have my dad on my side.

4. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

First off, whey is the most easily digestible form of protein, that is it's tiny job, it's big picture is your body not only uses it for the various tasks such as muscle repair and growth...It is a perfectly assembled "COMPLETE" protein source. Soy, number one is a hormone disrupter, secondly, as with pea (thus a plant based) it is an "INCOMPLETE" protein source. Will the sources you stated work, the answer is yes, will it work the best, NO. I have had a lifetime not only training myself but training strength athletes and body builders. My knowledge is spot on and in this case in non-disputable. To get great results, you need to feed your body GREAT. P.S, happy to help you with any questions you might have if you are currently training, peace "Drumming"......lol

5. drumminmama

what training are you referring to?

6. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

You mean for a protein source ?? It really doesn't matter whether is running, lifting weights, hard horseback riding, anything benefits from a complete protein source. It's just something your body needs and is faster and more completely utilized. I am not saying it is required for every meal, but a portion of your daily protein intake should include a easily digested, complete protein source to help your body recover.

7. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

ADDED NOTE.....If a person let's say is just a couch potato it really doesn't matter what your protein source is, as a matter of fact your protein needs will vastly drop with little to no exercise.

8. drumminmama

I’m not following WHY you are lecturing me on nutrition.
    You mentioned training. I asked what the hell you were referring to. Read your posts.

I happen to hold a nutrition certificate from Cornell. Because it was less expensive than local options.

9. drumminmama

As to complete protein, As far as food combining per meal goes, that’s been debunked.
    As you know, it’s more an essential amino acid balance over a day.
    The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found in 2016 that the only failing of a careful vegan diet was B-12.
    The international Society for Sexual Medicine says that soy has no impact on testosterone in men.
    No statement as to interplay with testosterone in women. Research is thin there.

looking at infant formula, the professional jury is out.
    Pediatric Endocrinology Metab, 2010, Found that there was no significant change in infants taking soy formula.

KathyL likes this.
  10. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have been vegan for over 20 years. I don't get any "complete protein" (i.e. animal protein) in my diet at all, and I have no dietary deficiencies. As drumminmama said, it is a balance of amino acids that you require, and that is ridiculously easy to arrange.

I am still quite physically active. Back when I first started being vegan, I was a very active cross-country skier, and I competed in a ski marathon every year. That first year I was vegan, my time in the marathon improved by 30 minutes over my consistent previous times. I attribute the improvement to the improved nutrition. My training regime was the same as in previous years.

srgreene likes this.
  11. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Great moderator but you know little about nutrition. But thanks for playing, sell that stuff somewhere else, I've forgotten more about nutrition and the human body than you allude to.

12. drumminmama

Sell? It is you that is selling here in the vegetarian forum.

13. srgreene

srgreene Members

What a snotty reply, 'cowboy. You provided no information- merely a banal insult.

14. srgreene

srgreene Members

I am vege, not quite vegan, and have been using nutritional yeast as a source of protein. Any insight you would care to share on yeast as a source of protein?

BTW, after becoming vegetarian at 19 (and quite possibly before, although it wasn't diagnosed at the time) I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I took an iron supplement for time, and then increased vege sources of iron. Over time, vege sources of protein sufficed to at least ward off the anemia.

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I personally can't live without whey protein. :D

It's part of breakfast. Every day! :)

16. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have never heard of anyone using nutritional yeast as a source of protein. I guess it has some, but I wouldn't think it was a lot. Nutritional yeast is normally used as a source of vitamin B12.

I assume you meant iron, not protein, in your last sentence, since anemia is an iron deficiency, not a protein deficiency.

17. srgreene

srgreene Members

Yes, I did "iron", not protein in that final sentence. TiposRus.

This site, which I consider reasonably authoritative, indicates nutritional is a good source of complete protein:

Why Is Nutritional Yeast Good for You?

As for B-12, I think there are questions about the bio-availability of it when it comes from yeast.

18. drumminmama

look into how vegans use B12 versus people who consume animal products. The information points to a body figuring out it needs to preserve stores.

also, look into spirulina as an iron and protein source. It’s surprisingly good in its macro profile.

19. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

She's a dick......LOL

20. drumminmama

Hmm. Recent studies are starting to rethink the lack of essential aminos in plants. Generally, and that’s very generally, a diet of varied, whole and nonrefined foods, with adequate calories, provides enough protein.
    Personally, nooch is a flavor enhancer. And one I use so little that it’s not worth buying, except at holiday time. Our thanksgiving has Mac and cheese, so I make a vegan version for those guests. And myself. Dairy (bovine) allergy, and goat cheese on Mac and cheese is too weirdly sweet for me. Nooch comes in near Kraft Dinner, certainly not a sharp edge, but miso can push it that way.