Family Worried + New to the Veggies

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by JustAFemaleGeek, Jan 6, 2019.

1. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

I've been thinking about going veggie, but my mother is not on board. Right now we have the agreement that I will eat dinner normally, and eat veggie for the rest of the time. However, when I get more serious, I'm not sure what to do about dinner. I think she's worried about nutrients. Any ideas on how to reassure her?

Also, I've been worried myself on how to get enough protein (how original! :tonguewink:) and what to eat when I'm not eating meat. I've tried eating beans before, but they don't agree with me, so they are out of the picture. I am going to try tofu today. Hopefully, it will be good.
    I think my biggest problem(at the moment) is what to pack for school. I need something without beans and without nuts. I quickly run out of ideas at the end of the week and don't want to resort to eating the chicken dish from the cafeteria.
    HELP

2. Mike518705

Mike518705 Members

Not a solid food but you could add protein powder to a drink

3. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

The protein powder I have now isn't very good. Do you have a fav brand you could recommend?

4. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Going veggie would actually not be bad at all, for various reasons. However, if not carefully understood, veggie-ism can be very nutrient deficient. In point, eating veggie exclusively without any dead animal or dairy will be comprised of incomplete protein source, thus in-eficient of providing your needs. Mix beans for instance with a corn product, makes it a "complete protein. This stuff can't be guessed at. If you do decide to do it, which I do support, learn every and anything you can PRIOR to making the jump. Good luck.

5. Mike518705

Mike518705 Members

I use Pure Protein. Not a fancy body builder protein but it does have a decent amount of protein. Comes in Chocolate,vanilla and strawberry

6. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

If possible, always choose whey protein as the source. Stay away from soy.

7. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Quinoa and hemp protein are good sources, if you're not eating meat.

idahocowboy likes this.
  8. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Quinoa IS an excellent suggestion, and a "complete" protein source.

Deidre likes this.
  9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

The best thing that you can do is become as educated as possible about food and nutrition. I have noticed over the years that people who worry about vegetarian protein intake don't have much nutritional knowledge themselves. In fact, most Americans get more protein than they need, and plant based folks usually meet their own needs just by eating a varied diet of real food (no surprises there).

This article and website are a great spring board. He provides a lot of no-frills information and easy to understand resources: Where do vegetarians get protein?

Good luck :)

10. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone. I will try those proteins out.

I've been trying to educate myself on nutrition. It's only now I realize how big of a decision this is. My mother actually went to school for nutrition. She's just worried about me, because I'm a picky eater, and how I would get things like B12. Thanks for the resources. :)

11. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

How to get enough protein and nutrients is easy. If you are eating a variety real food (not junk food) and you aren't starving, you are getting enough protein and other nutrients. It is really hard to not get enough protein.

The hard part is convincing your mother. She is unlikely to be convinced by the fact that I have been vegan for over 20 years, and vegetarian for over 35 years.

YouFreeMe likes this.
  12. Opera ghost

Opera ghost Members

Check out plant powered tribe on instagram. I’m not vegan, but there’s lots of great information there.

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I would suggest seeing a dietitian. This is one way to assure your mother that you are doing something that is good for you. They will tell you how to eat and what nutrients you'll need. So my advice, not as a vegetarian but as someone who is mindful of their diet, is to see a dietitian as soon as possible. If your body mass index is above normal your doctor can recommend you see a dietitian. Find out your BMI hereCalculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

14. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Hummus on toast is always a favorite go-to option of mine.

Are you thinking about going full veg, or pescatarian?

15. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

Eating a variety of food will be a fun task. Thanks for the tip though. My mother did say that in a year we would re-evaluate, so there's hope!
    Plant Powered Tribe sounds like a very good tribe. Thanks for the suggestion!

16. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

I will talk to her about seeing a dietitian, but I don't think she'll agree. I can try though.

Hummus on toast sounds great!
    I'm thinking about going full veg, btw.

17. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Honestly, if you're going to keep eating/drinking dairy products and eggs, protein will likely not be an issue.

A vegan diet is where you really have to pay attention to nutrients.

Taking a B12 supplement is a good idea too - they are super cheap from any pharmacy/health food store/grocery store.

18. JustAFemaleGeek

JustAFemaleGeek Members

Tell that to my mom!
    I'm actually calculating nutrition for my meals + snacks tomorrow, and I've already hit 54.7 g of protein. I think she's a bit too worried.
    I also hit the B12 goal.

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Why whey? Pea and other plant based, non soy options are out there. And soy is only a problem in particular heath conditions.

idahocowboy likes this.
  20. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Matt is a great source!
    Do keep in mind he’s aiming for elite and in training athletes, not the average person.

OP, may I ask why no beans or nuts?
    Also, what’s your age? Do you cook?