Family trees

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by Candy Gal, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I am starting this new thread, as having asked about other peoples experiences. The discussion nearly took over chat. That was not fair to the others. So, having traced my own family back to the 1700s. Oh, I made loads of mistakes, I would like to hear from others. I have a good friend who is a genealogist, so I am a lucky one. However, I found that I am really good at tracing church records. I really hope that we can all share our experiences here.
    It is a costly hobby using many of the different sites available, but I found very rewarding anyway.

Warning!!!! Do not post personal info on this thread. Keep your identity private.

QuestHobbit89, mefesh and DrRainbow like this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My mom was really into geneology for a while so spent years tracing our family back as far as the 1600s
    And my sister hired a historian in Scotland to research my dad's side of the family
    So I have a pretty good idea of my tree, without having to do any of the actual work myself haha..suckers

Candy Gal likes this.
  3. Candy Gal

Lucky you.
    Scottish BMD's give so much more information then British ones.

4. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Personally I have no plans to do a genealogy search of my family tree as so much truly personal data must be used.

Candy Gal likes this.
  5. Candy Gal

But you can set it to private on Ancestry.

6. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Still makes me a bit nauseous coughing up that much info.

rollingalong and Candy Gal like this.
  7. Candy Gal

Just research then.

Don't forget your local library will have a subscription to Ancestry, and if you can get to your county records office, you can also access Find My Past.
    The Mormon site, Family Search, is free to search as is Freebmd.

8. Candy Gal

British Empire records

I have started my husbands' tree on Ancestry. Family secrets and information passed down through the generations are like Chinese whispers, it gets distorted. My husbands' cousins started the paternal side and got it all wrong. There was a story that someone married an Indian woman. Gosh, it turned into Cherokee and all sorts of nonsense. I did find a census, on it she says she is from the West Indies. I had to get help from my genealogist friend. For goodness sake she was Welsh. Now, this is something to do with the British Army posted abroad in the Empire days. I just cannot find her birth record, or even know where to start. I also know she died quite young, but, never found a death record in this country. The last census found her in Essex. The next there is her husband in Scotland, a widower with a young son (husbands grandfather).
    So I am no expert in tracing everything, but it seems I am amongst friends.

QuestHobbit89 likes this.
  9. My aunt has a comprehensive family tree on my mother's side. Clueless as to dad's side, though.

Candy Gal likes this.
  10. Candy Gal

All members of Ancestry, provide a private Email. This is kept private! You can send a message through Ancestry and the owner of that tree will receive it. They may well have let their subscription lapse, but they are still the owner, and so they will be alerted to your message. There are also private trees on Ancestry. I have contacted the owners in the past and been granted access.
    Note:
    Let us PLEASE all support each other on this thread. We all have different opinions on our findings. Let us look on the more humorous side if records have been wrongly transcribed. It really must be a difficult task for many of the volunteers. Remember: Not everyone could read and write long ago. Information was related verbally. Mistakes will be made.

11. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

My county has a wide glitch in records going back into 19th century as the original courthouse burned to the ground destroying everything , it was wood structure at that time. Secondly the county seat was moved twice so it wouldn't be easy to go back very far.

12. Candy Gal

What about church records?

13. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Could be the only possibility , not at all sure how much that would turn up. There's only two really old churches in the county.

14. Candy Gal

Then go and enquire if you want.
    I just want someone to translate old French to trace further back with my Huguenots.

15. I don't understand the thrill of finding out your ancestry. I really don't think I will find anything interesting.

16. Candy Gal

I wanted to know where I got my ability to paint from.
    Also, who sang in my distant past.
    But yes, it is not for everyone.

17. Candy Gal

I wanted to know where I got my ability to paint from.
    Also, who sang in my distant past.
    But yes, it is not for everyone.

18. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Talents do run in families , I have two guitar players, one violinist and one banjo player in the family line as well as one painter.
    When such talent genes were distributed at my conception somehow I missed it entirely. Oh well can't cry about what I've never had.

Candy Gal likes this.
  19. Not true, Candy! You are very talented!

Candy Gal likes this.
  20. Candy Gal

WE all have different talents, some are academic. lol

21. Candy Gal

At drinking. lol