Fake tanning

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Sunburst, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

What the hell is this about? I'm so sick of people doing it, and my friend saying "You're so white!", after he's gone to the salon, I'm like "Well it's kind of been winter for 6 months!". Besides, if it just stopped snowing and you're tan, people are gonna know. Personally, I don't think having darker skin is worth the SKIN CANCER. It's ridiculous that looking "good" is worth that, and it's just pointless. Who the hell cares? I never purposly tan, if I'm outside and get one, great, if not, pff, it doesn't matter.

2. metro

metro self-banned

I think it's unattractive when someone has very suntanned skin. If they naturally have darker skin then it's cool, but when it's from the sun it's dangerous and ugly. Skin cancer, wrinkles, age spots, leathery skin....yuck, no thanks. I'm outside a lot, but I always wear sunscreen.

3. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i totally agree! ALL the time people tell me ugggh you're so pale, ugggh you need a tan! i think tanning is the stupidest thing ever. It's a proven fact that if you tan at least once a week it doubles your chances of getting cancer by the time you're 40. And MOST PPL TAN LIKE 3 TIMES A WEEK! uggghhh ppl are so self absorbed!! i got a tan today from being outside all day, and im pissed, my cheeks are pink and i have weird tan lines cuz of my outfit. GRRR lol...who actually pays for these!?!?!

4. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I don't know about tanning booths or that spray on shit, but i really like tanning. Just laying out in the sun, it's very relaxing. I don't do it to look attractive or anything, because I'm not, even with the tan. It's just nice.
    I would never tan too much though, thats no good.

5. Paz

Paz Member

I never really tan, since i'm hispanic i'm naturally kinda dark, i'll get darker in the summer than in the winter but I don't see the point of people who aren't dark tanning all the time, everyone is more attractive in their natural state almost always, and even if not who cares...

6. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

It's not THE stupidest thing in the world. People who use tanning beds kinda amuse me though, especially in california or other places where it's sunny and tanning outdoors is free. But then some people like the convenience of being able to lay naked in a booth and not get tan lines. There's still fake-tanning lotion, though. Oh well, no big deal. If it makes someone happy to be a couple shades darker than normal then so what? There's risk for skin cancer and skin damage, but the majority of people who deliberately tan are aware of these risks. It doesn't necessarily make them stupid; some people just don't care about skin damage or skin cancer and would rather deal with it when it happens instead of worrying about it now.

7. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Oh! An interesting factoid is that being tan was considered an unhealthy and unsexy look until a famous designer named CoCo Chanel was photographed in the late 1930s with it. After that tan skin was considered fasionable and healthy. Field workers gained tons of sex apeal.

8. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

i too get annoyed when people tell me to get a tan, and say I'm so pale, but what can i do? that's the way I am. I dont tan easily and I look funny when i do....

I'd never expose my skin to the harmful effects of a a sunbed. It's like you're in a sandwich maker...I dont see the point on having unnatural skin colour, you can tell the fake ones. he! but each to their own.

9. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

I've always had very pale skin, and people kept saying "try fake tan" .. So after a while I did.. Never again! The "orange look" is not really me