Fahrenheit 9/11 Brings the House Down in Cannes!

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by skip, May 17, 2004.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

yep, i agree with you 110 percent matt.

he acted in childish and lame ways..

to what? make a point?

oh god... people cant think for themselves,....they're so stupid that have to listen to his propaganda. makes me sick

2. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

hey, matt - if you're reconsidering seeing the film, you wanna catch it at the little with me when it opens, assuming i'm still in town?

3. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

Ah. NOW we're getting somewhere. This last few posts I have read have been the first complaints about Michael Moore which I could understand. Yes, I see where you are coming from. His methods aren't fair. This kind of guerilla approach to making documentaries pisses you off. Alright, I guess I can see that. I keep forgetting the age difference here on the forums, and it throws me off all the time. Y'all were just kids during the Regan era. In your early years you didn't care that they had classified ketchup as a vegetable, hell you were probably all for it.

The liberal/left members of my generation (of which Michael Moore and Skip are a part) had to live through that era, when the culture suddenly swung backward in time and it seemed like we were all living in re-runs of "Leave it to Beaver" or "I Love Lucy." It seemed like the people who were making our decisions for us (after all we weren't quite old enough to vote, just old enough to be aware of the bullshit) were the arrogant assholes, smiling and acting innocent, while all the while laying the foundations for the complete rape of America. We saw that. It pissed us off. [Let me qualify that: I don't speak for everyone. The people I am friends with, the people I grew up with who were left leaning feel the same way I do, but that doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else. My experience is only limited to everyone I know, personally]

When Michael Moore came on the scene with "Roger and Me," we couldn't cheer loud enough, and you must remember that at that time, it was standard practice to just hush everything up and keep the blinders on. I mean, the whole country was doing it, not just the people at the top. The tactics that Moore had to resort to to get the material for that film were guerilla tactics, as well - and he had no choice at the time. He has since refined those methods into a truly cruel and deadly art, and although in many cases he now has the opportunity to be more... what... conformist(?) in his approach, he doesn't. We, of the far left-leaning generation before you can't get enough of it. Finally, we are being vindicated! Moore is a hero to us. I LOVE THOSE TACTICS! I sit in my seat in the theatre like a twelve-year-old boy at a Schwarzenegger movie: "Get'em Mike! YEAH! F*ck'em up!"

No he doesn't play fair. That is, he's not very sportsman-like. He pushes the rules to the farthest extremes of the envelope BUT manages to remain out of the penalty box. He does play by the rules. If he didn't, there would have been numerous successful lawsuits against him since nearly everyone he takes on has WAY more money (and more friends in high places and more high paid lawyers, etc.) backing them up than he does - but there haven't been... they can't stop him. And I love him for it! So do many others, obviously.

When you really stop to think about it, though. His tactics are more fair than Linda Tripp's were when she set out to ruin Clinton. He's a far cry better at playing by the rules than many of the campaign managers and lawyers in the employ of the right.

You may not agree. But I am justified in feeling the way I do about Moore's work and I think that by this point, I have proven that I am not just some idiot who believes everything the media throws at me. I am a VERY critical thinker. I do not feel that Moore is patronizing me in any way. What I feel when I see his films is admiration (and maybe a little envy) for someone who is feeding the guilty rich bastards their own sh*t back to them. And, yes, maybe a little swell of pride every time he makes one of them look like an ass.

So think what you like about Michael Moore, but know that what we are ultimately disagreeing over is a matter of style. Not substance.

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't see why not.