Face Coverings .Do we really need these now?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Mysteron, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

As in the title really .

With over 26 million people in the UK having both vaccinations ( source BBC ) isnt it about time we said good bye to the face coverings . Thats why 26 million of us plus a small number that are naturally immune anyway sacrificed various side effects in an effort to regain some of our liberties .

The 26 million people are about as immune as they will never be and some who have had Covid as well are "Super Immune" ( quote Patrick Vallance) . Yet despite this there is no let off for face covering wearing and some like me find wearing of these unbearable for long periods when the weather is hot.

Just to add more weight in the debate , the USA have now withdrawn face coverings for those who have had both vaccinations.

I think its about time we did the same.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My mate was in the waiting room of a hospital radiology department yesterday, watching a grown adult have a screaming temper tantrum because she wouldn't be admitted without a mask.
    In my county, less than 1 in 4 got vaccinated; they never wore masks and still adamantly refuse, regardless of CDC guidelines; they'd rather contract (or spread) a potentially debilitating or fatal disease than to risk being mistaken for a hated Democrat. Therefore when I go out in public, I simply assume nobody's vaccinated, and mask up accordingly. Besides; I certainly do not want to be mistaken for one of them.
    I don't know that Europeans can even begin to grasp the level of willful ignorance and intentional stupidity among the populace of the United States now.
    Anti-Vaxxer Tells Lawmakers Vaccine Makes People Magnetic, Allowing Them to Hang Spoons From Their Bodies

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Tyrsonswood and Mysteron like this.
  3. Captain Scarlet

Thanks for your input .In the UK all the vulnerable people have been offered the Vacinne and the double vaccine of this group is expected to be completed by the 21st June .
    For hospitals though that would be an exception for me .But for pubs supermarkets and shops ,there is no real need .That's the whole idea of having the Vacinne to get back to normal as best as we can .

4. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Some people should never take them off.

Toecutter and Mysteron like this.
  5. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

COVID Data Tracker

COVID-19 Vaccinations in the United States

% Adults with At Least
    One Vaccination
    63.8%

Totally Yoda and Mysteron like this.
  6. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

In the US. The state I'm from exempt people who got both shots from wearing a mask. There are exemptions of course. Those who are not vaccinated. Must wear mask when indoors except in their home.

Mysteron likes this.
  7. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

^^^^^
    Same here, I see some with a mask, some not, I see no issues with wearing a mask if you choose,
    Those that add politics to the mix = ignorance

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Totally Yoda and Mysteron like this.
  8. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Those who add politics. I end the conversation right there and walk away.

riverman18, Mysteron and Toecutter like this.
  9. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

All things considered I'd rather not wear a mask, though the inconvenience is small to me. I'm fully vaccinated so I shouldn't have to wear one. But if someone insists I wear one, or a reputable, scientific authority recommends I wear one under certain circumstances, I won't throw a hissy fit about it.

KittyLou and Captain Scarlet like this.
  10. Captain Scarlet

Well its not just the face coverings its everything else that should be returned when you are double vaccinated . Thats one of the reasons to be vaccinated so that we are not locked down for the rest of our lives tip toeing around others.

KittyLou likes this.
  11. KittyLou

KittyLou Banned

Life at some point has to get back to normality, and I think stopping wearing masks is a big visual first step.

Captain Scarlet and Vinny19 like this.
  12. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

..... but only when a lot more of the world population is also fully vaccinated !!!

etherea likes this.
  13. Bllide

Bllide Members

I am not convinced we ever 'needed' them (as I am not sure they work) but I think they are a good reminder that there is a disease out there and we need to be careful!

14. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Even those who have been vaccinated can still be carriers of the disease and spread to others who haven't yet had their vaccine, so wearing masks, whilst this epidemic is still rife is a suitable precaution.

etherea, Tyrsonswood and Piobaire like this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Effectiveness of Mask Wearing to Control Community Spread of SARS-CoV-2
    "COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets exhaled when infected people breathe, talk, cough, sneeze, or sing. Most of these droplets are smaller than 10 μm in diameter, often referred to as aerosols. Exposure is greater the closer a person is to the source of exhalations. Larger droplets fall out of the air rapidly, but small droplets and the dried particles formed from them (ie, droplet nuclei) can remain suspended in the air. In circumstances with poor ventilation, typically indoor enclosed spaces where an infected person is present for an extended period, the concentrations of these small droplets and particles can build sufficiently to transmit infection.

Community mask wearing substantially reduces transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in 2 ways. First, masks prevent infected persons from exposing others to SARS-CoV-2 by blocking exhalation of virus-containing droplets into the air (termed source control). This aspect of mask wearing is especially important because it is estimated that at least 50% or more of transmissions are from persons who never develop symptoms or those who are in the presymptomatic phase of COVID-19 illness. Second, masks protect uninfected wearers...Masks form a barrier to large respiratory droplets that could land on exposed mucous membranes of the eye, nose, and mouth. Masks can also partially filter out small droplets and particles from inhaled air.
    Epidemiological investigations have helped quantify the benefit of mask wearing to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2. At a hair salon in which all staff and clients were required to wear a mask under local ordinance and company policy, symptomatic, infected stylists attended to 139 clients and no infections were observed in the 67 clients who were reached for interviewing and testing. During a COVID-19 outbreak on the USS Theodore Roosevelt, persons who wore masks experienced a 70% lower risk of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection. Similar reductions have been reported in case contact investigations when contacts were masked and in household clusters in which household members were masked."
    Journal of the American Medical Association

It truly beggars belief that after everything that's transpired, this still needs to be explained to some people.

soulpoker and Tyrsonswood like this.
  16. Captain Scarlet

Once you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing more

Source CDC Centers for Disease control and Prevention USA

17. Captain Scarlet

Spot on

Its just that in the UK we are kept in the dark like mushrooms and fed a daily dose of Bullshit via Government influenced media .

SaraSara likes this.
  18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

we are allowed now to wear masks around if we prefer, but there is no more mandated mask wearing; at least not at one of my jobs (in a clothing store) - the accounting job is still requiring masks for all employees. Clients have the choice.

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

In my county, only 1 in 4 got vaccinated; most refused to wear masks. Therefore when I can't avoid being out in public, I simply assume nobody got vaccinated, and act accordingly.
    ‘Two Americas’ may emerge as Delta variant spreads and vaccination rates drop

Tyrsonswood and Captain Scarlet like this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Let me introduce you to Fox News.

21. Captain Scarlet

That really made me laugh how you posted that :)

djinx likes this.