Expert Panel Says Vitamin Supplements Are Safe

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, May 26, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/index.shtml

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

that reminds me, i need to take my vites. :D

cheers!

3. i don't know about the safety, but most of the information I personally found from different books was basically that synthetic vitamins do not bind to molecules in out body, like the natural (from food) vitamins do, but come out with urine instead. i'm no expert, but understanding is that the vitamins people take in a form of pills (man made) go in and go out as pee and do not really do anything for the body that you'd expect them to do.

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

some forms of vites/mins arent as bioavailable as others. definitely have to do some research first. if food was grown the way it was supposed to be grown, we wouldnt have to supplement, but even organics dont have the vite/mineral content that they should because the soil has been so depleted and because the strains of plants that are grown are chosen for yeild and appearance, not nutrient content. imho, it is essential to supplement.

5. Bilby

Bilby Freerangertarian Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

A few weeks ago I had a tickly throat. I tried the usual -cider vinegar and honey- but it did not do much so I tried chewing vitamin C tablets and it seemed to do the trick.

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

just be careful with the chewable form of vite c. ascorbic acid can eat away at your tooth enamel. i'd brush with baking soda afterwards to neutralize the acids, or better yet, i'd take sodium ascorbate to avoid the whole problem in the first place. it's more bioavailable.

7. but ascorbic acid is the ingridient that contains the vitamin C!?

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

sodium ascorbate is basically ascorbic acid after it's reacted with a base. it's easier on the body and is easier to absorb. much better. :) and, fyi, abram hoffer says that if a bit of baking soda is added to ascorbic acid, it turns into sodium ascorbate. it's still all vite c.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

may be mostly harmless, but time you make anything into a pill it ain't got all the combination of trace companions that comes with it in nature, so while the one chemical might be exactly the same thing as the one chemical, it's the combination of things that occure in the wild or in the garden that's one thing and what you get in a pill is another.

=^^=
    .../\...

10. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

Food based vitamins are the best. Synthetic ones like centrum get pissed away if you dont eat with a meal.