Existentialism

Discussion in 'Books' started by hiphopforrespect, Jan 8, 2005.

1. hiphopforrespect

hiphopforrespect Member

I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried to tackle Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre?

I was really getting into existentialism about a year ago and I grabbed this book because it was dubbed the quintessential text on existentialism. I didn't know what I was in for. After you read the first page or so, you damn near want to go back and read it again and this time highlight and take notes.

It's a very informative text but at times it can be too wordy. Which sounds like an ignorant statement, I know. But it's a pretty difficult read. If you've had any experiences with this collection of essays I would like to discuss it further with you.

[​IMG]

2. alex714

alex714 To the Left

i find that a lot of the must have existentialist books are hard to get through

im a little intimidated to tackle any of them, and the ones that try to simplify it all are too straightforward in a way

3. hiphopforrespect

hiphopforrespect Member

We're caught between a rock and a hard place eh?

I like challenges and all, but damn!

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I read exerpts from that book. I truly enjoy existentialist philosophy... Satre, Nietsche, De Buvour, etc.

5. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

A good way to approach Sartre: start with his novels and plays. Age of Reason, No Exit, The Flies and others all touch on bits of existential philosophy. It's a bit easier when you've had the ideas presented to you this way first, imo...

I've been pecking away at Being and Nothingness for years now... a chapter here and there, sometimes just a few paragraphs, usually with months in between.

I figure in ten or so years, I'll be through it, lol....

6. boringtree

boringtree Custom User Title

Being and Nothingness is next up on my list

7. m6m

m6m Member

There's a great audio-book on tape called 'No Excuses!'

It's all about the history of existentialism, and has a good chapter on Sarte.