Exercises for your Arms:

Discussion in 'Deadbear's Gym' started by cutelildeadbear, Aug 12, 2004.

1. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

As I will state often, please only choose a maximum of 3 exercises for each muscle group (and only that many if you are experienced). You do not need more than 3, and doing too much will weaken muscles and bones, instead of strengthen them. I will also repeat often, to exercise at your own risk. You are obtaining information over the internet, I am not with you and cannot train you "online", nor am I your doctor. I will post more exercises as I have the time. Feel free to add your favorite exercise. Your arms are comprised of many different muscles, therefore there will be quite a few exercises on this page. Remember to only choose a few to try at first, don't over do it.

Biceps:
    Some of the exercises require the use of weights. Use both free weights or dumbbells and a weight bar. Use weights that you are comfortable with but ones that will cause you to feel the "burn". By your last few reps of your last set, your muscle should be fatigued, you might feel like you cannot do one more. That means you are using the right weight. If it is too easy, go up a few lbs. Be careful not to start out with a weight that is too heavy for you, using a heavier weight will not make you stronger, it will however cause you to pull a muscle or sustain another sort of injury. After a few weeks, you may need to modify your routine to include a higher weight for some exercises. I will eventually be able to add exercises that do not require weights, but rather using your own body weight for resistance, but I'm just getting started here.

Single Arm Dumbell Curl
    : Grasp a dumbell in each hand, then stand with feet hip width apart, knees slightly bent (or loose) arms at your sides, palms facing in. Contract abdominals (do this with all exercises) make sure your shoulder blades are down and together. Keeping your elbows and shoulders still, curl the left dumbbell up toward your shoulder, rotating your hand so your palm is facing up at the top of the lift. IMPORTANT: Return to starting position, just as slowly as you raised your arm, do not just throw the weight down or let it go, you need resistance on the way down as well as the way up. Do 12-20 reps per arm, 1-3 sets.

Concentration Curl
    : Grasp a dumbbell in the right hand, then sit on the edge of a flat bench or chair with your knees twice hip width apart and feet flat on the floor. Keeping back straight, lean forward from your hips and place your right arm against the inside of your right thigh, so that the upper arm is perpendicular to the floor. Contract abs to keep from slouching; place left hand on left thigh for support. Keeping wrist straight, bend right arm to lift dumbbell up toward right shoulder. Slowly lower to starting position. Switch arms and repeat, or do all reps on one arm, then switch arms to complete one set. Do 10-15 reps per arm, 1-2 sets.
    Shoulders/Upper Back:

Overhead Press:
    You can do this exercise standing, but I like to do it sitting on a bench with the back straight for support. It is important that you do not slouch while doing this exercise or you will not target the correct muscle. Stand or sit up straight, with feet firmly planted about hip width apart. Start with dumbbells in each hand at shoulder height, arms close to your body. Slowly press straight up overhead, hold for two counts, then slowly lower to starting position. Repeat for 12-20 reps, 1-3 sets.

Front Raises:
    Stand up straight, feet hip width apart. (You could do this sitting, if you have to) With a dumbbell in each hand, start with palms facing down hands at sides. Keep elbows loose, don't lock them. Slowly raise arms out in front of you (like a mummy) up to chest level. Hold for two counts and slowly lower to starting position. Make sure you are not swinging the weights up and down, these need to be concentrated moves. Do 12-20 reps, 1-2 sets.

Side Raises:
    This is the same concept, but it works a different part of the shoulder head. Hold your dumbbells at your side raise out to the sides to make a T formation with your arms, then slowly lower to starting position. Repeat. Do 12-20 reps. 1-2 sets. You might need a lower weight than usual for this exercise, just try a few on and see what feels right.

Cable Cross Reverse Fly:
    This exercise will require a cable weight machine found in most gyms. You can substitute with dumbbells, just follow the same moves. Attach a handle to each cable and align handles right below shoulder height. Grasp the right handle with your left hand, and the left handle with your right hand, stand about a foot away facing the machine with feet hip width apart, arms extended in front of you right hand over left. Palms should face in and elbows slightly bent. Keeping your torso motionless, draw you shoulder blades down and together, moving arms out and back in two steps until handles are in line with shoulders. Hold for one count then return to starting position, in four counts. Do 8-12 reps, 1-2 sets.
    Triceps:

Cable Reverse Grip Pressdown:
    This also will require a pully cable machine. Attach a straight bar to the machine and stand facing machine, feet hip width apart. Hold the bar with and underhand grip, hands shoulder width apart, palms up. Bend elbows so they are aligned with your shoulders, forearms should be parallel and wrists neutral. Contract abs. Maintaining shoulder and upper arm position, squeeze shoulder blades down and back, then straighten arms without locking elbows. Slowly bend up to starting position. Repeat. Do 12-20 reps, 1-2 sets.

Bench Dip:
    Sit at the edge of a bench or coffee table with legs extended in front of you on the ground, feet flexed. Grip front edge of bench next to hips. Straighten arms to lift butt and hold up for two counts. Slowly lower your hips about 4 inches below bench level, and hold for 2 counts. Press back up and repeat. Do 12-15 reps of 1-3 sets.

Rope Press Down
    : Again this exercise requires a pulley machine. Put the rope on the high pulley and stand facing the weight stack. Grasp the rope above the knot or stopper with your palms facing in. Your starting position will be with your elbows at less than 90 degrees and in at your sides. Press the rope down, keeping your elbows in until you reach full extension. At the bottom, turn your palms down as much as possible to squeeze the triceps and hold for one count. Slowly return to starting position and repeat. Do 12-15 reps, 1-3 sets.

Overhead Tricep Extension
    : Sit at the end of a bench or chair and hold a dumbbell in your hands with your arms extended overhead. Slowly lower the dumbbell directly behind your head by bending only your elbow. Extend your arm back to starting position and repeat. Do 15-20 Reps, 1-3 sets.

Kickbacks:
    Stand with your feet hip width apart, bend over at hips, making your back straight and parallel with the floor, knees slightly bent. Holding one dumbbell in each hand, arms should be close to the body, in line with your torso. Keeping your elbow high and locked against your side, extend your lower arm behind you until your arm is straight, do not lock elbows. Make sure your upper arm and your shoulder is not moving. Do not swing your arms. Slowly return to starting position. Do 8-15 reps, 1-2 sets.

2. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

i dont have dumbells, but i do pushups... 3 ways:

1:with palms/hands facing straight
    2: palms/hands facing out
    3: palms/hands facing in (which is a killer!)
    i do 3 sets of 10 of each... works great! i am getting good tone and muscle definition!

3. kermit

kermit Member

I think palms out is harder!!!

try millitary press phew! I am glad I do not weigh more I can only do 3 well 3 1/2
    damn whimp! I figured 180LBS above your head was good 3 times !!! phux try 4!

4. benny

benny Member

TRY hindu pushups. In my experience, they work the best and put the least amount of strain on.

5. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Ahhh yes you are all so very right. I had forgotten about push ups. I love to work my arms but I hate getting down on the ground to do it that is why I favor dumbbells. I'm glad you brought this up because push ups are excellent for working the arms and chest and you don't have to buy any equipment.

6. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk Member

Push ups are most chest than anything. I on arms day i do

3x10 shoulder EZ bar raise.
    3x10 Straight Bar reverse curls
    3x10 Tricep pulldown
    5x5 alternate dumbell curls
    5x5 military pres
    3x8 Tricep extension

7. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Triceps: for STRENGTH

- Tate presses - put your arms out at 90 deg to the body (crucifix position) then put your arms in the air while lying down on a 45deg bench (incline bench) - Grab a set of dumbbells, palms facing your feet. then you, while keeping the bells together, bend your elbows bringing the bells to your solar plexus, thumbs down, then, while pushing the bells together, straighten the arms. This is NOT a dumbbell flye. You are bending the ARM not moving the chest.

Dips - go up to a dip bar. Push up on it. Lower your body down, push it back up. Get someone who knows how to do it to show ya.

Halpert Presses- Get a barbell, and on a bench press in the bench press posish lower the barbell to your pelvis/pubic bone- then push the bar towards your feet, and then raise it up to above your body by straightening the arm and then using the triceps to shove it upward.

JM Presses - Grab a barbell in the bench press position. Drop the bar about six inches, above your chest by bending your elbows. Then let the bell fall back towards your nose, like in a skullcrusher. The bell should fall another five inches or so. Press OUT, don't curl it, back to the original position. Use a pause. Have fun.

Three board press - put three two by fours on your chest. Lower the bar to the boards, pause, press it outwards.

As for biceps - curls are for girls.

8. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

I do lots of chin ups, push ups, curls with dumbells, and bench press
    kinda old school but it works for me

9. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Something different to try:

Hold a one pound dumbbells on each arm and throw 30 punches on each arm (jab, cross equals one, jab, cross equals two, until you get to 30). Then do the same with two pound dumbbells. Then the same with 3lbs, 5lbs, 8lbs, 10lbs. Then back down the scale. 30 punches on each arm with 10lbs, 8lbs, 5lbs, 3lbs, 2lbs, 1lbs then 30 punches with no weights. That's one set. I do about 12 sets feel free to start out with just 5. You'll definitely feel it in your shoulders and joints the next day. :D

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

11. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

ahhh beer curls
    they will get you stoked for sure

Irminsul likes this.