everything you believe is wrong

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by cerridwen, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Wouldn't that be weird?

The religion you believe in is completely wrong, therefore your afterlife will be completely miserable.

Or even worse... all religions are wrong and we spent all that time in temple or church for nothing....

2. Nisha

Nisha Forlorn.

i sort of believe that...

i've enclosed myself in such a mentality that religion is one big fluke. i respect epople who follow religions.. but i dont think i'll ever be able to merge back into the category who do believe in some superior god..

i also don't think there is another life after this one.. i want to.. but.. i just cant believe in it anymore. if re- encarnation really does exist... how come our population is just growing out of control?

what i do believe is that after we die- everything just stops. our body functions.. and everything. this is where some people can question- do souls really exist?. but alright so anyways... assuming it doesnt... then we are just created into being other living things. its not re-encarnation. we are not exactly born into being humans again.. it could be a completely different section of life... beyond imagination where the universe does not exist. where we are born onto a place that isnt on a planet that revolves around a larger star or were temperature does not exist...

im jsut rambling on about myself.. but.. i look at things very scientifically.

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

indeed... I'm pretty spiritual, and I do practice one religion, but at the same time I believe that whatever you believe is right... and whatever your version of the afterlife is, that's where you're going.... but it'd be scary if none of it at all existed...

4. Nisha

Nisha Forlorn.

well.. scientifically... it doesnt really.

but what people want to believe will soothe them. if you want to believe it, its a powerful magic with the mind. by all means, do it :)

i wish we did have all the answers.. but then if we did.. life would have less purpose. like if we had everything given to us then life would be duller because we wouldnt have to even stretch out a hand or anything.

*sigh*

5. Nisha

Nisha Forlorn.

hahahaha- "come to the dark side, we have cookies"

6. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

If ya want to know for sure what religion that you believe in then answer 20 questions & how important each answer is to you and the computer will match your answers to different religions.
    http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION

7. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Taking a quiz to find out what religion you should belong to is perhaps one of the vapid, most stupid things I've ever heard of. And if you're the kind of person who needs to take that quiz, there's no hope for you.

8. RageRock

RageRock Member

Well, i personally don't believe in actual religions, i believe there is a God but not an actual figure, just scapegoat really... people blame bad things on god and thank god when something good happens. I only do because i don't want to blame anything on myself i guess, but anyway, i think when you die, you die, humans are only here by coincidence, the moon and earth slightly collided and that impact created exactly what was needed to have living creatures. Human's brainpower became too strong and what we are missing is the ability to take resposibility and thus, God was created long ago and people wanted to blame someone for something, and want something to believe in to get them through life. The only reason there is life, is to die, eventually humans will become extinct, no matter how smart we are, if humans were less intelligent than maybe we would live, but with nuclear explosives, fear, jealousy, revenge, and misunderstanding, humans cannot last long. We have been here for a couple thousand years and we are killing earth and everyone on it, and dinosaurs were not very intelligent and they roamed earth for many many many mellenia. The main reason humans dominance on earth will abruptly end in short years to come, is because of religion, people have different beliefs and therefore they think they are right and get frustrated when others do not follow and POW they blow 'em up. Wish people would just live without these beliefs even though they are said to be healthy, we should just believe in helping others to live life to the fullest and prove fate that we use our intelligence positively not stupidly. But nothin i can do, and i will just live to die, not in a depressing way though.

9. Major Peacenik

Major Peacenik Member

If we were all wrong about everything, the wrongness would make real reality the contrapositive of the currently assumed reality. Ohhhh it would be so cool if everything was its exact opposite.

10. Major Peacenik

Major Peacenik Member

Besides, everything I believe is not wrong. Chocolate soy frozen dessert tastes darn good, I'll believe that til the day I die (and beyond!)

11. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

Ohh, that chocolate soy is good stuff. Coffee flavored ice cream is also damn good. Anyhow, The idea that everything we believe might be wrong, while compelling at first glance, has little merit. First reason being that we would not exist if everything we believed were wrong, but that is tautalogical in essence. More importantly, if everything we believed were wrong then our current deffinition "wrong" would be wrong, as would our deffinitons of "correct" and "right". We would then no longer be able to say that everything was wrong because the deffinition of "wrong" would have changed. So inorder for everything that we believe to be wrong we need to have a consistent deffinition of "wrong". If we have such a deffinition then not everything is wrong since the deffinition of "wrong" is not wrong.

So in any case we are forced to conclude that not everything that we believe is wrong. Much of it may be wrong, but not all of it at the same time.

12. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

Well that would mean Santa is a fake and Elvis really is dead...that cant be true...can it?

13. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Considering my current beliefs, it really would not at all surprise me... :D

14. Nisha

Nisha Forlorn.

i took that religion test. not because im stupid, more like im curious. this is what i got.

Your Results:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
    Browse Unitarian Universalism related books. Click here for info

2. New Thought (91%)
    Browse New Thought related books. Click here for info

3. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (89%)
    Browse Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants related books. Click here for info

4. Secular Humanism (88%)
    Browse Secular Humanism related books. Click here for info

5. Liberal Quakers (88%)
    Browse Liberal Quakers related books. Click here for info

6. Neo-Pagan (88%)
    Browse Neo-Pagan related books. Click here for info

7. Reform Judaism (82%)
    Browse Reform Judaism related books. Click here for info

8. Theravada Buddhism (82%)
    Browse Theravada Buddhism related books. Click here for info

9. Mahayana Buddhism (77%)
    Browse Mahayana Buddhism related books. Click here for info

10. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (77%)
    Browse Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) related books. Click here for info

11. Scientology (77%)
    Browse Scientology related books. Click here for info

12. Non-theist (77%)
    Browse Non-theist related books. Click here for info

13. New Age (74%)
    Browse New Age related books. Click here for info

14. Orthodox Judaism (62%)
    Browse Orthodox Judaism related books. Click here for info

15. Bahá'í Faith (55%)
    Browse Bahá'í Faith related books. Click here for info

16. Islam (55%)
    Browse Islam related books. Click here for info

17. Taoism (54%)
    Browse Taoism related books. Click here for info

18. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (50%)
    Browse Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant related books. Click here for info

19. Sikhism (49%)
    Browse Sikhism related books. Click here for info

20. Hinduism (47%)
    Browse Hinduism related books. Click here for info

21. Jainism (45%)
    Browse Jainism related books. Click here for info

22. Orthodox Quaker (38%)
    Browse Orthodox Quaker related books. Click here for info

23. Eastern Orthodox (37%)
    Browse Eastern Orthodox related books. Click here for info

24. Roman Catholic (37%)
    Browse Roman Catholic related books. Click here for info

25. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (34%)
    Browse Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) related books. Click here for info

26. Jehovah's Witness (34%)
    Browse Jehovah's Witness related books. Click here for info

27. Seventh Day Adventist (21%)
    Browse Seventh Day Adventist related books. Click here for info

15. Pinecone

Pinecone Member

Thats a paranoia that I used to have... then i stopped believing in that stuff. Now, I just don't know anyhting. I suppose thats even worse. IDK...

On starship troopers 2, the bugs said something like they were killing humans becasue they could not allow something to exist that believes it has meaning. That doesnt make sense if you think about it, but they also said that believing in meaning is insanity and is painful and they cannot allow such suffering to exist. That made me think... I wonder whether it really is better to just be a drone who follows directions without question and doesnt feel as opposed to being a human who lives and feels but is cursed with this insatiable desire to always exist and try to feel good for no reason, just because its a superior way of securing reproduction. If its all about survival, is consciousness really worth it? It really does hurt sometimes. but then theres also the less introspective times when a distraction can make consciousness a pleasure... I wonder if the pain is just disillusionment, like if someone was rasied without any belief in spirits or gods or other vain hopes, maybe they would be happier than i am.

Well, I guess that I just don't know.

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

cerridwen,

Someone has to be wrong :eek:

Just be thankful we don't all believe the same things (right of wrong) or we'd all lose our Individuality and become mindless automatons...

h