Ever Read The Cliffs Notes Instead Of The Book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jimbee68, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I know I did once. About 20 years ago I was interested in the book "1984" by George Orwell. So in lieu of going thru the trouble of reading the whole book, I just got the Cliffs Notes.

Funny thing about the Cliffs Notes, besides being much easier to read, it also gives you the full literary analysis of the piece. So in addition to fully understand it, it also gives you something intelligent to say to your friends afterwards.

Anyone else want to confess to doing this too :) ?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

back in highschool yes...

cliffs notes was the easy was to getting thru english class with that stupid useless shakespeare crap they try to jam into our brains

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've never heard of anyone doing it for pleasure reading. actually, i've never heard of anyone doing it in real life for any reason, but the stereotypical reason for their existence has always been book reports.

i may just not be old enough. i think book reports had stopped being assigned by the time i went through school. we had "required" reading, but whatever we were supposed to read was just discussed in class the next day anyway so i don't know why anyone would bother to read the actual book or the cliff notes.

5. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

I have always read the book, never used or even knew how to get those cliff notes when I was in school.

6. jmadre

jmadre Member

Used it once.
    Didn't find it useful.

7. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I did the equivalent (not cliffsnotes, but only plot notes/analyses rather than the text) at University when I only had 4 days to read the Brothers Karamazov.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Sure back in High School I'd either do that or I'd watch the movie if applicable

Hotwater

9. HashtagInterested

HashtagInterested Members

I'm sorry, but I either decided to or not to ... Read the book I mean. It's crazy ... I failed my English class in highschool. Maybe I needed Cliff's notes? Not really. What I needed was to understand the purpose of reading. I love to read immersive literary works, no matter the genre. If I fall in, then you know I love it.

Reading takes me places I enjoy going. From the visuals, to the intensity or lack of, and by enjoying what I read, I'm able to comprehend and empathize with the characters. So, when I stated "I'm sorry" I was suggesting "what's the point"? Even if you ace a quiz or essay or report, you cheat yourself of the experience.

I wish I had taken up reading much sooner. It took 4-5 years after highschool before I even understood the why behind reading.