Europe Brussels has.....

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by J0hn, May 10, 2007.

1. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

decided against the metric system. They have finally admitted that it just wouldn't work. Imagine going into a pub and asking for a pint in mls or asking for a kilo of apples. Once again britain wins the day against Brussels ever increasing strength.

Historic occasion. Who do you think you are kidding Mr Brussels

So what are your views on the continual use of Imperial?

2. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I believe the apparent backdown by the EU on imperial measures may have a lot more to do with trade to the USA than anything to do with anyones apples. I think it was stupid of our government to make the trade in imperial illegal, but I understand there desire. I struggle with the building trade still measuring in feet and inches, now they're gonna be justified, ah well time to brush up on it again.

Within a generation imperial will be dead because the children are all being taught metric only.

3. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

http://www.metric.org.uk/why/myths.htm#criminal
    Fiction: The UK is being forced to adopt the metric system by the EU
    Fact: Britain took the decision to go metric well before joining the EEC

I think we will use BOTH.

Especialy as most of the world uses Metric - so it makes sense for us to use one or the other or atleast have the option to use both.

4. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Brussels seem to dominate the EEC. It is like Britain is run by Brussels. Whats the point of Parliament? Fact: Brussels were a massive influence on the UK government to go metric.

Fiction: Parliament has a backbone to Brussels.

5. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

'Metrification' has been a issue in this country for nearly 200 years - i do not think we have Brussels to ''blame'' for this country wishing to join in with ''metrification''.
    WE are a active and full member of the EU - it is our imputus as well as ''Brussels'' that decide the over-riding policys of member states.
    Like you have highlighted ''metrification'' is NOT occuring in the UK - so WE MUST have SOME influence.

6. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

It is only because we are closer to America than ever before with regards to trade and imports, that we can stick with imperial. I remember when i went to spain in 2002. now they just gave me a glass of sherry, no measurements. I suppose metric for most of Europe is a nightmare. I could not see Dellboy or Rodney going into their local pub and asking for a pint in metric.

7. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I want imperial gone its outdated and a hindrence.

Working in tens is so much easier than working in dozens or any of the other peculiar quantifying systems, I'm pleased to see children taught only metric.

8. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I agree that the ''America effect'' might be one issue - it would be a HUGE prejudice to count that as THE major factor - when you consider most of our trade is with fellow EU members and none American companys - I've a fear that the particular bar that you got your glass of sherry from - was breaking the law - no doubt ''from Brussels'' :) .

I'm sure even if we did switch we would still call a PINT a PINT.

9. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

I don't get you at all dapablo.

Asking for 642 or whatever for a pint. Great Britain has tradition. I would never want Brussels to Eurofy us into another Monopoly money, under brussels hand country. Britain is strong and whilst we will continue to use imperial, we have the choice of using metric too. I like using metric when measuring carpets, woodwork etc.

10. dapablo

dapablo redefining

So apart from the pint in the pub you state your happier with metric then John.

Its got nothing to do with British independance from Europe and everything to do with ease of use and common sense. It's only the elderly who worry about pounds of fruit and veg., the younger generation just buy stuff by the bag from the supermarket and don't give a seconds thought to how much it weighs.

11. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Certain things, Metric is good. I prefer metric when doing measurements with DIY projects. Measuring lengths of timber or measuring carpet. I prefer metres than inches.

For everything else, it has to be imperial. I like both and like the fact I have a choice, not an official order from Brussels to dispose of my traditional values of being able to order a pint of Waggledance.