Ethnic Percussion

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by flowerchild17, Jun 5, 2004.

1. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

How many of you dig ethnic percussion? I've really been gettin into it lately... I have a little set of bongos, but I've been lookin to collect some more once I get a job and have some funds! Anyone know a good site online... or a good store I could get different African drums at? Or just any stores that speicalize in ethnic instruments in general?

2. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I agree, ethnic drums make a wonderful sound. Bongos especially, they're great! I've just got the one percussion instrument, one of those Irish drums I think are called Bodras. Don't really play the drums myself, but I needed one for the room, good to have a beat with a jam.

There's a lot of reasonably priced instruments over at http://www.hobgoblin.com - Not sure about their drums but they have plenty to there to have a browse at :)

3. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Early Santana. Listen to their first 3 albums. It's the best latin-rock music that you will ever find.

4. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I spent like a half hour trying to remember this site.
    Lark in the Morning
    They pretty much have instruments from all over the planet, which is pretty cool. Have fun with all your new toys!

5. flowerchild17

Thanks dudes! I'm loadin both of those sites up right now. My dad told me that he'd get me a set of bongos for an end-of-the-year present, and for gettin' high scores on my standardised tests. Yay! I really can't wait. :D

And Mike, I have all three of those albums, and you're right... The percussion in those is AMAZING! :D

6. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Ethnic percussion you want? Try eBay. Just make sure to only bid on items that have good pictures showing the item. And only bid on items offered by sellers with good reps (positive feedback).

For listening, get Mickey Hart's Planet Drum and Supralingua cds.

7. flowerchild17

I have both of those, and I listen to them quite often :) My dad was kind enough to buy me these beautiful djembe while we were on vacation at a music festival, and it REALLY has a wonderful sound. I'll try and post a picture of it :)

8. luvndrumn

...may I suggest that you look into a doumbek/dombek/dumbek/darbuka
    [​IMG]
    I have one similar to this, made of aluminum and it has a wonderful sound.
    Not to mention LOUD!!!
    It's a fun instrument.

9. flowerchild17

Ohhhhh! My friend has one of those and I've been wanting one... I've played on his a lot lately, I've really enjoyed it. His looks a lot like that one too, same color and design (ish). I've been looking into one myself... Do you think a used one in good shape would cost THAT much??

10. luvndrumn

How about brand new?
    Check this eBay auction out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=622&item=3735641008&rd=1

Notice that the seller has been trading since 1998, has 15,337 transactions, and has a positive feedback rating of 99.9%. You aren't going to go wrong trading with sellers like him/her. Notice the price?:sunglasse

That drum is one of the smaller ones. I'm guessing the head is 8" across.

Check eBay/Percussion out. Search for doumbek. Lots to look at.;)

11. flowerchild17

Hmmm... I'm not a member of Ebay and I don't have a credit card or a dad willing to lend me one... Any other way I can use Ebay or not?

12. luvndrumn

In order to bid, you have to have an eBay id. Most sellers will accept a mail order, either Western Union or U.S. Postal Service. Some even accept personal checks, but will hold the item until the checks clears their bank. Check the auction notes on Terms. Each auction has them listed. If you don't see mail orders mentioned, email the seller for clarification.

It's very easy to get caught up in a bidding war, so I suggest you set a limit and stay with it. That limit also needs to include the S&H cost, which most sellers post in the auction. Sometimes the seller bases the S&H on your zip code. If that is the case on an auction you're interested in, email them with your zip code and they will give you the S&H cost.

Be real careful. It's easy to get carried away.

13. flowerchild17

Thanks for the advice. :) I'll see what happens, if I don't have success on Ebay I'm at used music shops daily scanning for used instruments like that... And stupid me came across one of those about 6 weeks ago and dind't buy it... ugh... Hopefully my pop wont mind me doing the Ebay thing.

14. luvndrumn

If you are not sure, then it would be best to ask him. Especially after he bought that nice djembe for you.:H

15. flowerchild17

Yup, no point in pissing him off, I think he already regreats buying me that!

"oh dear god, I bought my kid ANOTHER noise maker..."

Mwahahahaha!

16. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

my landlady and her husband went to tanzania in africa and came back with massive tribal drums, they're ten-a-penny out there, really cheap drums, well, apart from the flight to get there :p
    :D jaz

17. flowerchild17

Man that's INCREDIBLE! I'd love a trip like that... Why does Africa have to be sooooo far away?!?!?!?!:& Damn Oceans...

18. flowerchild17

YOU SUCK :&

But that's really fucking awesome....

19. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

So who likes 'Milkshake' by Kelis?

I love that song.