Ethanol for DMT extraction.

Discussion in 'DMT' started by IDL, May 20, 2007.

1. IDL

IDL Banned

I was wondering if one can apply Ethanol rather than methanol (a chemical known to cause neurological and physiological damage...ex. cancer or blindness) in extracting DMT from plants. I mean, I don't think anyone would like to find out they have cancer or become blind after the consumption of extracted DMT. Plus, I've read that ethanol and methanol are quite similar. I do acknowledge that one must take precaution and make sure that all the methanol evaporates out of the DMT to play it safe. Also, I was thinking if there where other safer chemicals one can use to complete the whole extraction....to completely finish off the extraction. Just wondering. Thank you.

2. uplink

uplink Member

no.

ethanol has the properties of both polar and non-polar solvents (because of it's extra CHs), methanol is simply for non-polar.

3. Sensei

Sensei Senior Member

there are other nonpolar things one can use, though. For example, petroleum ether (naptha(coleman lighter fluid)). I thought that DMT was normally an acid/base extraction though.