Essential oils

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by rayne_lyric, Mar 29, 2006.

1. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

So what are some cool things you can use Essential Oils for besides soap and candle making? What do you use them for?

2. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

i add them to lotions, to body oils, and to shampoo/conditioners. I have really, really dry and sensitive skin, so chemical fragrances are out of the question for me. I buy only "unscented" products and then scent them myself.

You can also use them to make incense, or so i've heard... i know one of the Mama's here was talking about that some months ago.

3. Cre

Cre Senior Member

few drips in bath
    few drips in baking soda..then sprinkle on floor & vaccume. i read about it somewhere and tried it. now everytime i vaccume, our house smells like sandalwood. lol

edited so say....did i spell vaccume wrong? it doesn't look right to me....thats one of them weird words........

4. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

ohh... thats a good idea Cre! Never thought of that one! Thanks for the tip!

5. badwolf

badwolf Member

What not to do...
    Don't try to flavour candies with Mint essence oil.
    My cousin and her friend learn that the hard way.

Like Icedteaprincess, I add a drop to plain lotions.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I use them in oil burners to scent the house. I used to make incense, but there's too much dust and crap in the air here to add more very often.
    Most soap making supply places have "blank" (unscented) sticks. You will also need isoprophyl (rubbing) alcohol.
    i also add to soap and conditioner.
    oils in a small glass bottle with a real cork can hang in a vehicle to scent it.

7. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I like putting a few drops of lavendar oil on a washcloth whilst in the shower and put it on my face. I also put a few drops of various scents in the wash on the last rinse cycle.

8. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Cool ideas! I love the vaccuming one (I don't know how it is spelled either...). I will have to try that some time. I already use them (Most of the time Patchouli) to scent soap (melt and pour stuff). And IcedTeaPriestess, I sympathise COMEPLETELY with your dry skin! In the end of fall, winter, and first part of spring my hands get SUPER dry and they like start to bleed and crap when I move them because they are so chapped and dry. It is pretty nerveracking. I don't use lotions or anything. When it gets really bad, I put patroleum jelly on them though. But what makes it worse is that I am a compulsive handwasher, so all that extra washing does aweful things to ones skin...

Thanks for all the input everybody!

9. natural23

natural23 Senior Member

Couple of drops of eucalyptus or tea tree oil in warm water then carefully inhale in order to help disinfect sinuses and/or lungs. I have found technique to be very effective in gaining a healing advantage. [CAUTION WITH THIS TECHNIQUE, OIL MUST BE PURE AND START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS. READ MORE HERE].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oils.

10. natural23

natural23 Senior Member

I have found that a drop of tea tree on a small well-closed wound increases the rate of healing.

11. natural23

natural23 Senior Member

Was sitting on a wind-blown mountain top with bonzai-like trees and wind shielding from the onshore breeze to the west and also to the northwest. Looking at the view; the rocks are light red-brown, light coffee and beige colored sandstone with the flat top of the ridge, where I sat, a course to fine consistency sand. Scores of red ants start to appear and bite me :eek: and I wanted to remain there, it was important for reasons that I will not explain here.

I opened a large bottle of tea tree and began to thoroughly mix approximately 1/3 of an ounce of tea tree into two handfulls of fine sand and made a circle of the treated sand around the "sitting space" on the ground then applied some tea tree to the locations on my clothes that contacted the ground. Peace; the ants remained outside of the circle and the ones that had come up from under the ground in the sitting space ceased to do so. Peace, :) .

12. melonhead

melonhead Member

where can you get them? the oils, i mean?

13. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I get mine from a health food store near me.

14. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Yeah, I get mine from a health food store too. The local crafts store also sells them. ANy health place would, and a few pharmacies may too, but I am not sure.

15. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

I shampooed the carpets in my house today. Instead of using an expensive artificial smelling carpet cleaning solution from the store, I mixed fragrance-free laundry detergent into warm water, then added several drops of eucalyptus, patchouli, and lavendar oils. My house smells so good now!

16. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I went to this rasta store to get my oils.I love their "Blue Nile" oil. I put it in my dreads. I make the basic easy types of oils.

17. DJacobs

DJacobs Member

I love using them in almost everything.... I make bath salts, powdered milk bath, oil burner, whipped raw shea body butter, I make cologne and perfume, I make goat's milk soaps, non-petroleum jelly, I put it in baking soda to make carpet fresh... body spritz ... you name it I can make it.....

18. sarathustra

sarathustra Member

My friends mom is the QUEEN of oils. She gets hers from www.youngliving.com and theyre really good quality oils. And i use them for everything They have a lot of info on the site, and i'm thinking about becoming a distributer.

19. j.soul

j.soul Member

Depends on what you wants to use the EOs for, and oh yea, which ones you have/want to use. We're all seeming well-informed here, so I'll simply add to the many answers: make flavored lip balms, lotions, perfumes (sprays and solids); burn the oil if you have an oil diffuser. Adding it to laundry sounds ah-mazing. I make my own cleaners; maybe I could use some EOs for them; I'm thinking citrus. Citrus has astringent properties, but can also affect your pigment, so indoor use is encouraged, lest burning skin gets you off. You do you. [​IMG] Tea tree oil is great as an antiseptic, so I hear. I put a few drops into witch hazel and water and spray on my itchy head. Naw, I don't have dreadies, but I've been thinking... It feels so refreshing.

Dilute if the recipe calls for it or if you take a whiff and realize the potency is too great~[​IMG]

Before thinking about EOs though I would think what use/project you want first, and then choose accordingly. Unless you have bottles lying around and in that case I'm jealous ^_^

I will gush about Brambleberry and Majestic Mountain Sage, but know what you're doing before ordering.

Wisdom & Wellness
    j.soul[​IMG]
    ---------------------------------
    Natural23: I would def. try that inhaler you described, but I use Olba and it's friggin fantastic. I feel like I'm breathing crisp fresh pristine air. It'll take a lot for me to switch =P

20. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

vacuum, btw.

if you need to smell acceptable (job interviews, meeting the sig O's family, high toned concert/play/ art opening) a drop of sage in each pit will keep you fresh.

rosemary EO (essential oil) can increase blood flow to the scalp, and that can help in some types of thinning.

There's a entire discipline on aromatherapy, healing with scent.