Esperanto (Re: Feminine Proper Nouns).

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Jimbee68, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have to tell you all, I am really drawn to the artificial language Esperanto. I am a 'person who hopes' too. And I sincerely believe it will become everybody's second language one day. I even seriously considered learning it once.

Anyway, I am still a little confused and even dismayed about a recent development in the language.

Feminine proper nouns now end in '-a'.

It makes sense a little. Thus now we can safely say Mario (note '-o' ending) is masculine. And Maria is always feminine.

But the only thing is adjectives already end in '-a' in Esperanto. How do you tell them apart then?

And while we're at it, how do you express the accusative case, for words like Maria? For Mario, the accusative case is "Marion", because it ends in 'o' (for the noun) and '-n' for the accusative. You can't do that with Maria.

Or is there something I am still missing here?

I humbly await your replies.

:) :) :)

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Esperanto became a big issue in the 1940s but most people at the time saw the world adopting English as their second language ant the whole idea seemed to die a natural death.
    As this is now generally accepted, particularly on the internet. The big question is whether countries such as China would teach Esperanto INSTEAD of English as their second language and whether ALL English speaking countries would teach it in order to communicate with them.
    Imagine HF where we were only allowed to post in Esperanto,!!!! Better still. the other social network sites where everyone would have to learn the translation for all the 'F' adjectives. :yum::yum::yum::yum: