errrrrrrr grrrrrr growl yell eck

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by interval_illusion, May 10, 2004.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

i've only been veggie for a month or so and i try not to talk about my reasons too much w/ my husband...

but when i do. he goes off. like he says all the typical responses and just does not get it.

one time he actually said to me "i dont like vegetarians cause they're annoying like you".

welllllll it's frustrating as hell!

BUT i love him to death. im staying with him.

and ASTRO, i can finally understand some of your points. ;)

2. SexyDreads

SexyDreads Member

Most veggies talk about their lifestyle non-stop, and grill people about its benefits. I have many veggie friends like that, they can be plenty annoying. It may be a reason why he is upset; he might fear you will become one of them. Maybe he feels detatched from you. Like youre doing something without him. Ask him to help you make a nice veggie dinner, or to pick out veggie items at the store with you. Try to include him into your new lifestyle. He might like it, I dont know!

Peace,
    Jessica

3. interval_illusion

the good thing about him is...

he's hella supportive. he only eats meat like once a week anymore compared to every day.

we look thru recipes together and he lets me control the grocery list.

i mean, he's great about it, but every now n then, he just gets weird.

and your ideas are prolly right.

4. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

If he's being that supportive, I doubt you have much to worry about. Allow him a little grumble here and there to let off steam, and try and use a lot of meat substitutes for the time being so he feels like you're making an effort to accomodate him as much as possible.

5. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

If your husband wants to be omni, then let him. Just tell him to make his own meat meals, if he wants them :p.

I'm glad he's supportive... :) Awwwwww, it's so cute to see a married couple in love!! ;)

You know, there's one thing that really bugs the hell out of me... when people say vegetarians are "annoying". I really haven't met any annoying vegetarians, either on this site (where I would have seen at least some), or elsewhere. But the thing that bugs me is that people are likely to classify vegetarians as "annoying", while they won't classify someone who talks non-stop about their football team (like most men do) as annoying, neither will they classify a girl who only talks about hair and makeup and whatever as annoying. And the thing that bugs me even more is when someone provokes you, for being vegetarian, and if you respond, they'll classify you as annoying... what the hell are you supposed to do, just sit quietly and nod??!?!

I think that's what's expected of today's society really, sit quietly and nod about everything, and definitely not just the vegetarian issue...

6. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Perhaps the 'annoying' part is actually having to think about their behaviour, rather than drifting through life in ignorant bliss? People like life to be simple. Challenging them to subject their behaviour to moral scrutiny is never gonna be popular.

7. veinglory

veinglory Member

Hmm. I am very much of the 'do it don't talk about it' opinion. But if he actually asks you about it then he can't really complain can he?

8. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

My ex is around a lot and he wouldn't dare to talk to me like that or it would set me off and you don't want to piss me off. ;)

He knows meat is banned. He hasn't complained but he has gone over to my parents' place to eat meat because he misses it so much but I do cook replacements once in a while so it's not that bad.

9. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Hit him. Then tell him it's his fault, but you only did it because you love him. You're so sorry and you won't do it again....yada yada yada....

*SLAP*

10. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

It is good that you are sticking to what you feel with your diet and not being swayed.As for your spouse do not preach just start of with a few meals that are vegi friendly and wow knows he might go that way to.

11. Yokai-Tororu

Yokai-Tororu Guest

Someone told me once that the best way to deal with meat eaters being rude is to stay quiet and do your best not to offend them.

12. interval_illusion

yeah, i guess i am the one who always brings it up to him. ill stop doing that so much. :)

then maybe eventually he'll want to talk about it....

13. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I have a similar issue with my parents (and brother to a lesser extent). To begin with I used to go on and try and convert them, then they would retaliate with stupid comments. It was almost a game, just no fun.

Then I chilled out a bit, otherwise we would have gone mad. As a generally outspoken person I don't by any means just shut up and take any aggro. You just need to pick your battles wisely. But never ever think you shouldn't speak up, if he goes werid and aggressive ultimatly that's his problem.

TTFN

Sage
    PS I'm a feminist singleton, which explains a lot. :)