Ender's Game.

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by Basil, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Basil

Basil Member

One of my favorite Sci-Fi books of all time.

If anyone has read it comment it :).

If you haven't, you should. It's a great book to read. And short enough (around 280) to read in a night.

Love and Peace,

August/Basil

2. buttrfly)i(

buttrfly)i( Member

i read it a very long time ago in junior high school....i remember really liking it...even though i had to read it for school...

3. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

The title rings a bell, I think I may have read it, anyone give a brief synopsis of the story to refresh my memory? Was it the one where the kid believes he's only playing a game but it turns out he's actually issuing commands rather than just in a simulation?

4. Basil

Basil Member

5. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

Wow that's detailed...
    Yah, I do remember that book. I was a bit tentative the first time I picked it up because it looked so much like a childrens book, but I loved the story. I have read better written peices, but I think that this is probably one of the most original, and thought through, stories.

6. Valdis

Valdis Member

It's a really good book as is Speaker for The Dead and many others by the same author.

7. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

Picked this up at the bookstore yesterday because the title looked familiar for some reason. I was pretty confused at the start, but by the time I got a couple chapters in I couldn't put it down, and so ended up reading this until well into the night ;)

I'm almost afraid to go out and read Speaker for the Dead, though. Too worried it won't live up to the standards set in the first book. Sadly, it's been my experience that sequels rarely live up to the original, as far as books are concerned.

8. munkirench

munkirench Member

Ender's Game was designed as a prequel to Speaker for the Dead, despite being written first.

Orson Scott Card wanted to write the story of Speaker for the Dead, which is a very powerful story (spanning 2 more books, Xenocide and Children of the Mind), but he needed a way to set up the characters. He wrote Ender's Game as an expansion/novelization of a short story of the same name, setting up the characters of Ender's Game for Speaker for the Dead.

I thought that Speaker for the Dead was a much better book. Ender's Game is basically a children's novel, albeit one with an excellent storyline. Speaker for the Dead is much more mature, much more in depth, and has a powerful message.

Conversely, the Bean series (the series begun with Ender's Shadow, a companion to Ender's Game) is more of a continuation of the young adult-themed literature. It's a science-fiction version of a geopolitical story, with some interesting characters. I would recommend the Shadow series to anyone that enjoyed Ender's Game, but I would recommend Speaker for the Dead to pretty much anyone that enjoys fiction.

9. jia

jia Member

I like Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon a little bit more than Ender's Game.

10. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Munkirench is correct in the sequence.
    But he says Card 'did this or that'
    He does not know what card did or for what reason.
    I have read all especially speaker. Yes Speaker is 'mature' but game is about children who are mature.
    Does that offend or threaten you?

Roo

Mature as in have more complex cognition than 'adults' >Adults in my world are cretins.. what of you?

11. knowboddy

knowboddy Member

This is one of the best books ever written IMHO.

He's got a newer one out called First Meetings. It's okay but it's just not quite up to par with the rest.

12. PhearHendrix

PhearHendrix Member

One of the greatest books i have ever read. Great storyline made it hard tp put down, but it was also an easy read. ive read it multiple times, and it gets better each time.

13. johncamps

johncamps Member

did anyone see the graphic novels they made?

14. Wizard_of_Hawse

Wizard_of_Hawse Member

I greatly enjoyed this series... I don't completely remember which ones I've read, a few of the next ender books, and maybe one of the bean ones. Haven't seen the Graphic novels tho

15. blue_dream

blue_dream Member

one of my favorite books, along with speaker for the dead, of all time

16. Zlt86

Zlt86 Member

If you are an Ender fan, read The Carpet Makers. I made a post in these forums about it.

17. Flakeofsnow

Flakeofsnow Member

I absolutely loved the book :). I had Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Children of Mind and Xenocide but I lost all of them....

I also heard they are coming out with a movie and I do have to say the trailer looked terrible.... I don't know if they will do it justice...

18. bukfifty

bukfifty Guest

I've read a few times. Love it, gave it to my wife to read..she.didnt until.she saw they were making it into a movie. Which, looks.like it could be ok. Harrison Ford will be in it. i like him. Anyway, she finally read it. Finished it in like 2 days and loved it too. And she never likes my suggestions on books.

19. JackTheChan

JackTheChan Member

The book was great, the only thing that felt a little bit over the top was that many of the kids were acting too cold and "grownup" for their age. Anyway, the book is one of its kind.

20. everdeenkatniss257

everdeenkatniss257 Members

Thanks Basil for this one post, Ender's Game is also my favorite book I read this book mostly 3-4 times. That was so interested. The first haph part so good. But now I lost my book last year I changed my house that time.