Endangering the welfare of a minor?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Moondoggy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Back when I was a kid it was acceptable to smoke cigarettes almost anywhere. In the grocery store, on a bus or airplane, etc. I remember going to church on winter mornings with both my parents puffing away with all the windows up and us kids gagging in the back seat. Even today I regularly see people smoking in their cars with kids or even babies on board! In N.Y. this would fit the definition of endangering the welfare of a minor though I've never seen anyone charged with it. I have seen people charged with it for smoking marijuana near children whether driving or not, and rightly so. Why is it that things that have become socially acceptable cause people not to think for themselves and just accept that that's the way it is? :confused::peace:

2. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

You're not going to get lung cancer because your parents smoke cigarettes when you're in the car sometimes. Get over it.

3. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

The point of the post was how smoking in a confined space with children or a baby fits the definition of endangering the welfare of a minor. As I see this occur on a regular basis I wonder if anyone has ever been charged with it. FYI, my parents did this 45 years ago before there was even warnings on a pack of smokes. I've got hemorrhoids older than you Zorba.:toetap05:

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

There was this corny bitch on tv saying the pollutants from the steel mills were harming her kids, while she puffed on a cigarette on the interview..

5. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

I understand the point of your post, I just think it's moronic.

6. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Your reply was lacking in substance and did not address the point of the post.
    So if you smoked and had a baby, you would smoke in confined spaces with it?

7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

it ? i might give an it a little puff and with a purpose . i 'd let an it be next to a family campfire too . are you a chronic worrier about it ? oh , i see , you're it . sorry you were gagged .

8. Galaskan

Galaskan Member

You should really look into that... sounds like a serious health problem there.. :D

9. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

If I was around back then, I, as a non-smoker, would have had a hard time telling a smoker to please not smoke in my car or home, almost as if I did not have that right. Luckily, it's not like that anymore. To anyone who would challenge that seemingly absurd statement, I tell you now that my mother told me it was like that back then.

10. OneLifeForm

OneLifeForm Member

The majority is more comfortable not thinking for themselves.

11. Sunflower Sky

Sunflower Sky Member

I might not have lung cancer, but since my mom smoked when i was in the womb it stunted my growth. And I developed breathing problems from the second hand smoke and so has my brother. Plus it's nasty and makes you smell bad. And influences your children to smoke.

12. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Smoking while pregnant is severely different and not comparable to smoking in a car though.

13. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Unless you're pregnant while smoking in a car.

14. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

If you're so worried about a miners welfare then stop sending them down all those shafts.

15. Sunflower Sky

Sunflower Sky Member

But the only thing that happened from that is i'm short and i was a premature baby. Maybe i just wanted out of that cramped up little space :)
    And my genetics made me short...