emacs or vi?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Roffa, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

For me, emacs is the ultimate text editor. However, our sysadmin dude still uses vi - he's a pretty retro sort of guy and even sets his terminal window to display white characters on a black background. Any other adherents out there?

2. Toby Stanley

Toby Stanley Member

I have found the only advantage of vi over emacs is the ability to operate regardless of terminal type, which I believe is why many system folks prefer it over a full screen editor. I will admit that vi is virtually unknown to most people, yet it always works, regardless of the display you may have in front of you and when a system is having problems, it helps not having to worry about your editor interface.

I have to agree with you about emacs being more functional, since it is far more powerful than vi for advanced editing functions and it is easier to use too.

Funny, but it made me laugh to hear about someone using white characters on a black background, since years ago, there was a belief going around USC, UC Berkeley and Stanford regarding the amount of RF radiation emitted by computer CRTs and how one could reduce their exposure in this way. If only it were true...

3. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

I use green on black, easier to see. Vi is easy as shit and I will never waste my time learning emacs.

4. raysun

raysun D4N73_666 4861786f72

I use vi because it is flexible I tried emacs a while ago but turned back to vi instead.....

5. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

6. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

I like vi, but emacs is useful too learned vi first so I guess its comfy and easier for me...and I like white on black its easier on my old eyes.... guess I am a just an old fogey

Peace, Cricket