Elizabeth Taylor

Discussion in 'Movie Stars' started by Shale, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Shale

Shale ~

I suppose the news that Elizabeth Taylor died today of congestive heart failure at age 79 has been seen by everyone. Surprisingly there was no mention of it here in the Movie section considering that movies were her home since age 12.

[​IMG]

She was a striking beauty, and an accomplished actress. She had a dynamic life with 7 husbands (reflecting a generational constraint of saving it for marriage). She had much fame as an actress but more significant is her advocacy for AIDS causes.

It was 1985 and AIDS was feared; ignorance of the disease was rampant in our society and ppl with AIDS were shunned - and those working with them could be shunned as well.

Elizabeth had a big heart and used her great fame to bring this cause to the public mind.

I was there in the mid '80s and knew the facts of this disease and the ignorance that was common. I felt compelled to get involved in the AIDS activism and volunteered at a service organization. I was apprehensive how my employer would react because ppl did react in very negative ways back then. (Fortunately she was a compassionate woman who soon joined in the service to ppl with this disease)

Elizabeth too was shunned for her involvement in this cause but her great fame outshone that and she not only brot money to the care of ppl with AIDS, and research into the disease but also an awareness to the public and elected officials.

She was not just a woman of great beauty and style but one of great substance.

Some more pics of a beautiful woman that was there throughout my life

In National Velvet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

She sure was. It's too bad her health precluded her from making movies the last bunch of years. She was a beauty ----

3. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

she was really beautiful, too bad the media plastered her all over looking sickly and coooookie... that's what most of the young ones will remember her by

4. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I had a crush on her when I was a teen after seeing National Velvet on TV. I remember thinking Mickey Rooney looked really young too, considering I'd primarily known him for his role in The Adventures Of The Black Stallion series prior to that. But to me, Elizabeth in National Velvet is the epitome of youthful beauty. R.I.P. Liz. :(

5. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

She was a truly beautiful and talented woman. She was also very giving and generous she donated tons of money every year to charities. RIP

6. Telepath

Telepath Banned

i dont care about her. if I died tomorrow, no one would make a post on here about how much of a striking beauty i was.
    like, seriously.

7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Well that ^ totally unnecessary post just made me have to say something for Elizabeth!

She was beautiful throughout her life...both inside and out. She accepted and loved when others wouldn't. Yes, to me, she is/was the epitome of young beauty combined with hope.

8. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

The only thing I really know about her is that she nearly killed Fox on Cleopatra (or to be more fair, that some blame her)

That and what warmhanded mentioned about her being disgusting.

9. Shale

Shale ~

Who are you?

Maybe someone would make a post on here if you were a striking beauty, but as of now - you look kinda ugly to some of us here.

10. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

This coming from the person who started a thread last night about how Americans see cows as walking hamburgers...

Anyway, yeah its sad about Elizabeth Taylor. Although she was a beauty, she did become kinda scary these past few years

11. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

Liz Taylor's beauty was much deeper than her physical appearance. She will be missed by all of us who grew up watching her on the screen. R.I.P.

12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

After Reading This Post, I Guess It's Crystal Clear Why.!!..:(.

Cheers Glen.

13. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

I heard someone say she was the last of the great "Movie Stars". I think probably so - I can not think of another. So beautiful.

14. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

While I'm not a fan of Hollywood nor its stars . Nor its negative impact on society . I love some of the old classic movies , from a bygone era of simpler better times . Liz was a class act all the way and a major talent . While I loved so much of her work , I think to me who's afraid of Virginia wolf is my favorite work of hers . Perhaps because their was some similarities between her character of Virginia , and her personal life . She had a big heart and was good person . And wow what a beauty ! She helped many and stood strong for what she believed in .

May she rest in peace .

15. Duck

I don't find that surprising. While it's not a majority by any shot, I find a lot of 'animal lovers' and vegetarians prefer other species to humans.

BUT I think the emotional/defensive comments kinda prove his/her point about how people lick celebrities asses when they die.

No one can deny that the general public thought Michael Jackson was a pedophile one day, and the King of Pop (again) the next.
    Not too many people were thinking of Elizabeth Taylor Tuesday.

16. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Blech, fair enough she had a film career...... don't really see why people should be applauded for imitating other people tho', or just looking pretty.... apart from that it seems to me that she spent the last thirty years doing just enough to keep herself in the media spotlight...

i remember her getting booed off stage at some aids awareness concert ..... she looked like she was zonked out of her box on pills and could hardly speak coherently

RIP

17. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

Elizabeth Taylor was the consummate entertainer and actress. She was also physically beautiful and that is not always altogether God given. She was not perfect - but she used her celebrity to support many good causes.
    Shall we kick famous people for being fondly remembered after they are dead.
    Should we curse John Lennon, Farrah Fawcett, Roy Orbison, Janis Joplin because they died with faults in their lives?
    I prefer to judge by the quantity and quality of accomplishments rather missteps, mistakes and political disagreements.
    All these were contributors to our lives and Elizabeth Taylor easily stands with them.
    God Bless you Elizabeth Taylor.
    What is the point of remembering perceived negatives when examining such an accomplished person.

18. Duck

No; just the bandwagon fans, and the ones that emotionally attach themselves to famous strangers.
    Realism, truth, a clear history.
    It's not good to make people into gods.

19. miromirante

miromirante Banned

20. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

One need not be on a "bandwagon" to appreciate someone who achieved so much thru her talent & charity - even if they have not slept with the person or even known them.

People are very aware, if of nothing else, of her many marriages and struggles with drugs. She was not a god, and to sling that insinuation is unfair. She was a human being who accomplished, for the good, far more than me - and probably you - though I don't actually know you. Perhaps you consider yourself a god to judge those of us who admired her.