Egypt

Discussion in 'History' started by salah_2010, Feb 6, 2009.

1. salah_2010

salah_2010 Member

Egypt has a civilization of 7000 years ! , and i have alot of articles about ancient egypt , so i would like members here to START not me , anyone one can ask here.....

2. waukegan

waukegan Member

it seems like such an interesting place.i must admit i know so little about it though.i've heard the term valley of the kings.is that an area where many of the kings were from?any information would be most welcomed.thank you.

3. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

my friends sister is going to school in egypt.

4. salah_2010

salah_2010 Member

The Valley of the Kings (Arabic: وادي الملوك Wadi Biban el-Muluk‎; "Gates of the King")[1] is a valley in Egypt where, for a period of nearly 500 years from the 16th to 11th century BC, tombs were constructed for the kings and powerful nobles of the New Kingdom (the Eighteenth to the Twentieth Dynasties of Ancient Egypt).[2][3] The valley stands on the west bank of the Nile, opposite Thebes (modern Luxor), within the heart of the Theban Necropolis.[4] The wadi consists of two valleys, East Valley (where the majority of the royal tombs situated) and West Valley.

With the 2005 discovery of a new chamber (KV63), and the 2008 discovery of 2 further tomb entrances,[5] the valley is known to contain 63 tombs and chambers (ranging in size from a simple pit to a complex tomb with over 120 chambers),[6] and was the principal burial place of the major royal figures of the Egyptian New Kingdom, together with those of a number of privileged nobles. The royal tombs are decorated with scenes from Egyptian mythology and give clues to the beliefs and funerary rituals of the period. All of the tombs seem to have been opened and robbed in antiquity, but they still give an idea of the opulence and power of the rulers of this time.

The area has been a focus of concentrated archaeological and egyptological exploration since the end of the eighteenth century, and its tombs and burials continue to stimulate research and interest. In modern times the valley has become famous for the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun (with its rumours of the Curse of the Pharaohs[7]), and is one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world. In 1979, it became a World Heritage Site, along with the rest of the Theban Necropolis.[8] Exploration, excavation and conservation continues in the valley, and a new tourist centre has recently been opened.

Continue reading here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Kings
    and my blog about ancient egypt http://allaboutancientegypt.blogspot.com

5. waukegan

waukegan Member

thanks for the info.i had read about the tombs but had forgotten the location.it certainly is a historic place then.a museum in my home town has had a mummy on display for 85 years now.fascinating subject....i also wondered what era the romans were involved in egyptian history.no hurry.and i can look up this info myself if you are too busy.thanks again.

6. salah_2010

salah_2010 Member

hmmmm.... i have no idea about this , you can find it by yourself and tell me...

7. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

I find it creepy for a culture to invest so much in the afterlife, even though you could argue that a dictator/king was doing the investing and no one else had a say.

8. salah_2010

salah_2010 Member

hmmm , they had their thoughts and culture that made their great hitsory

9. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

There seems to be void of information about Egypt during the middle ages. I wonder why that is.

10. I worked with a guy who smoke a joint in the Great Pyramid

:sifone: :party: :sifone:

11. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

I'm not sure entirely. But I do know that egypt was involved with Rome during the second triumvirate in the 1st century BC. Marc Antony was one of the men in the triumvirate and he had an affair with Cleopatra of Egypt. I think Julius Caesar also had an affair with Cleopatra. I don't really know too much about any of it though haha.

12. waukegan

waukegan Member

that answered my question thanks.liz taylor was even hotter than usual in the movie cleopatra.i wonder if the real cleopatra was that fine......smoking a doobie in the pyramid.that must have been quite an experience.i've heard and read about the power of the pyramid shape for healing and other things....i'm curious about egypt during the middle ages too.

13. salah_2010

salah_2010 Member

Any one can smoke his joint in any place he wants :)

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think there's at least as much known about Egypt in the middle ages as about ancient Egypt. It was pretty much under the rule of foreigners from Alexander the great in the 4rd century BC til the Ottoman empire in the 19th century. In the middle ages it was most of the time under arabic and middle-eastern rule. Of course we always think of the Egypt of the pyramids when we hear about Egypt as it speaks much more to our imagination.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Emperor Augustus became the first roman pharao of Egypt in about 30 BC. and it stayed under roman rule until the end of the 4th century. I personally think these era's of Alexander (relatively short of course) and the islamic era are at least as interesting :). Got a bit tired of the romans myself :D

16. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

What I don't know about Egypt would fill volumes. I do know they haven't mass murdered their neighbors in the last few years, like the Israelis have.

17. salah_2010

salah_2010 Member

am absolutely with you