Ego Loss

Discussion in 'The Psychedelic Experience' started by SweeperOfDreams13, May 25, 2004.

1. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

Has anyone ever experienced ego-loss?
    Can you describe it?
    Is it even possible to describe?
    Sounds like it would be amazing and terrifying all at once.

2. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

it is like a big blank spot that is full of everything.

3. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

it's rather difficult to describe, though not impossible. i think what he just said sums it up pretty well. only time i've ever experienced it was when i tripped koh samui shrooms, alone, in the privacy of my home. I don't know about the typical effects of tripping alone (this was the first solo-trip ever and interestingly also the first ego-loss trip ever), but i would argue that doing it alone, in privacy, it is infinitely more conducive to experiencing level 5 - ego loss. this is probably because you can do exactly what you want, when you want/need to and there are no reminders (such as a tripping buddy, other people, societal icons, etc) that influence and pull you back to a certain sense of reality of existence. when you are alone, you can open up. it was quite emotional for me, until at one point i lost it and all the previously intense visuals ceased (because i no longer cared about seeing them), and i entered a world of ego-loss. i can see, now, that i am already setting myself up to have to explain it, and that's not something i want to tackle. but, i'm still curious if anyone has experienced true ego-loss (or level 5 trip) with people present.... it only seems possible, to me, when you are with no one but yourself.
    peace

4. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

A blackhole, only detectable indirectly, more exciting than devils weed.
    0=1

5. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

i only experienced ego loss once. i became blind, and felt i was sinking into sand. i was sinking in the sands of time. i was nothing, i was everything. i was not physical i was not mental, i JUST was. i was a collective series of ideas and thoughts. no thought processes, just single thoughts. scary at the time, fun when i got used to it.that was K by the way

6. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

well, there is a difference between "ego-loss" & "depersonalization"...

ego loss might be described as experiencing as fact that the boundary between "self" and "universe" is illusory...

check out alan watts' writings in books such as:
    nature, man, and woman
    the book: on the taboo against knowing who you are
    the joyous cosmology

(or even poke around at sites like www.csp.org & www.thefane.org etc...)

7. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

I don't know if you would exactly consider this to be "ego-loss" but I had a revelation recently after sharing a bag of psilocybin mushrooms with a close friend, that I felt we could communicate telepathetically as spirit to spirit more than as man to man. Then I decided this was because we were both actually seperate but equal parts of a greater whole, the Earth Mother Gaia. I then closed my eyes, and could see myself floating away from the earth and I realized that even the spirit of the entire earth is but one part of an even greater conciousness that encompasses the whole universe. I began "zooming out" through the layers of the ways in which my existence is defined as an American, than as a human being, than as a part of the great spirit of the earth, and then finally as a part of the still greater spirit of the universe.

8. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

It's like walking into a house for the first time and knowing your home.

9. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

Reading this makes me want to try psychedelics even more, its an urge I've had for a long time, and threads like this only make it grow. Just haven't had the chance.

10. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

I've kind of experienced ego loss... When I took 780 mg of DXM, I felt like everything was pressing in upon me and that I wasn't alive nor dead, that I was just there. Like I was the only one who could just observe and not participate, I was unable to communicate much less think clearly and move self-consciously.

Basically, I was lost in my own mind.

11. twoseeeyes

twoseeeyes Member

I only felt ego loss through salvia.

12. prairiepixie

prairiepixie Member

~*hey ~ i experienced my ego is the teensyweensiest tiny grain of sand*~!

13. jailmate

jailmate Plantenist

you think uh are doi it, however it iz all ego, a false trip.
    Egoless iz the way to be.

14. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

hey autentique---

you live in santo domingo...
    it is almost certain that the morning glories that grow by you are psychedelic...
    and cattle pastures will sometimes after the rains flush with Psilocybe cubensis ("bald-headed mushrooms of cuba")

and other carib power plants prolly grow around you as well - anything from lianas to bean trees, i dunno...

15. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

Of the mushrooms I know... but still you get like an 1 1/2 half from here.. wich is nothing, but it doesn´t inspire me to go and get them. I keep telling my friends who have experienced psychedelics that next time.. let me know, but they haven´t been doing them in a long time. I really want to do shrooms and LSD.. but the latter might be a little harder to get.

BTW gnrm23... u are very informed ;)

16. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

I was on acid laying on the ground in the middle of an akali flat in the desert. There was absolutley NOTHING for at least a 1/4 mile in any direction.

I watched the full moon crawl up the sky until I felt as if my physical boundries were dissolving into the night air. I can only say the rest of me followed, until I was a single mote of awareness, drifting with the moon across the starry background. After an eternity, I lost myself completly in the night. I tasted the gestalt of the Universe.
    ----
    I stopped caring about petty matters the next day, and I stopped taking the inate stupidity of humans so personally.

17. kincajou

kincajou Member

losing my ego just shot up other wonderful feelings, like serenity, and feelings of "now" and complete awareness. It's almost like you lose all your anxieties, fears, etc. think about it< when you have anxieties or things you think of that you wouldnt rather think of< your mind will completely bypass any and all routes it takes to get to those anxious feelings< and find a much better route.

18. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

^^ im not saying you did not have ego loss. but as gnrm23 said there is a "depersinolizatioon" and DXM is dissassciative. so is K.

i finally had REAL ego loss on a but load of amt, and a .5gram of 5x extract salvia smoked in one hit. i woke up in another world doing something else as another person. weird, but i think i was lost inside my head. 5-MEO-DMT must be CRAZY

19. kincajou

kincajou Member

Well, one time my friend and I dropped some acid in a parking lot of a phil lesh n friends show, and after a few hours I thought I was my dad. So I guess you could say I lost "my" ego and acquired someone else's in the family, kinda cool. The experience wasn't necessarily scary, but it was strange, because I couldnt direct my brain back to me, so i spent an hour or so as my dad and I prolly pissed off my friend cus i might have been acting like a typical DAD can (bossy, etc.) :H

20. kincajou

kincajou Member