Eggs!

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by verseau_miracle, Jan 16, 2009.

1. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Please talk to me about...eggs!

Chickens eggs, ducks eggs, qualis eggs, whatever. What makes them such a great food? Do you eat lots of eggs? (especially the veggies here) How do you like them? Has anyone had any health issues with eggs?

A great curiosity for me is the egg! Why? Because since going completely vegan 3 years ago I havent touched an egg. Now Ive been thinking, these last few days...if we knew an allotment keeper like I did when I was little, who completely free ranged their chickens, who had happy, normal lives, then I would have no welfare issue with eggs. Healthwise, I havent heard anything terrible about them if eaten in moderation. Great, youd think, go and get some...

The problem is after so long not eating the things...they dont really seem like food to me. I mean if I hold an egg...smell it cooking...even see it fried up and on a plate...I cant imagine eating it. It just seems like something gooey and a bit repulsive. And the idea of it having come out of another animal just seems weird

So maybe the egg thread will help. If I were to decide to eat eggs, life would be easier. More options would open up to me

At the moment though, they just make me feel sick:(

So make them sound appetising! Pleasey?

Random enoof?

2. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I forgot to add Id definitely never eat your bog standard supermarket eggs as I realise the conditions they come from and you can never know exactly wat the chicken has been given which would pass through to the egg. I just meant local pet hen type eggs

I think its doubtful Id ever be able to eat em but Im interested in what you guys do with eggs anyway:pexacept throwing them at peoples windows as that is incredibly juvenile:toetap05:

3. silverhippy

silverhippy Comfortably Numb

Just think of em as hen fruit..Mmmmm eggs. course when you crack them open they look a bit like snot (yummy eh?) But just fry some up. Sunny side up and you can dip toast in the yoke, which would have been a chicken if ya didn't crack open his safe happy little home and eat him that is.. Hope this helped.. Now run out and rob a nest and eat up..

Peace

4. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

This made me laugh:D

And no, I wouldnt eat fertilised eggs! Most chickies kept for eggs are kept in female groups for obvious reasons

When I was little the allotment guy didnt hve a cockerel, just the hens, and some ducks too. Duck eggs were much nicer than the chicken ones

Wll thanx anyway!

5. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I think its definitely getting near to being decided...I feel so queasy just thinking about it. Really odd

6. lithium

lithium frogboy

I quite like eggs, but don't have them very often. I know what you mean about them not seeming like food, I'm a bit squeamish about them raw or fried. I have to remind myself they're not actually animals, or even really bits of animals:confused:

I like them scrambled:D Or occasionally *very* well fried, on both sides, with the yoke split open so it doesn't end up gooey in the middle.

7. lithium

lithium frogboy

Oh and egg fried rice is da bomb

diggity. hear me now rudebwoy

8. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Mmm, egg-fried rice! Ooh, I remember that! with peas in:)
    The egg issue is still whirling around in my mind. Once every few weeks, Ill crave one. Im one to listen to my body, so Id go and seek out an ethical source, but the problem is still there in that whenever I imagine myself eating one I feel sick. Theyre gooey and gross and they come out of chickens. Not really sure what to do for the best *shrug*

9. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Also is it just me or is even the word "egg" nauseating? egg...oeuf...*spew*

10. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

hegggggggggggggg.

i personally am a fan of smelly egg sarnies, spesh in the summer,, but yesterday my friend referred to them as 'fried foetus' and thats put me off a bit.

HOWEVERRRR theyre really good arent they? loads of protein and all that

11. shirley

shirley Member

Eggs are super good for you. Bla i'm a vegan, although i've caved in and had egg sandwhich when under the influence once or twice. Sure free range hens are happy hens, but think of all the land needed to feed them grain :(

12. Psiwave

Psiwave Member

If you like eggs, try those new builders breakfast flavour walkers.
    All they taste of is eggs!

Me? I hate eggs.

Except in my Psiwave super special sandwich (copyright 1996)

See favourite sandwich thread for details

13. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

I have a question for the egg eating vegetarians
    How do you know if the eggs youre buying havent come from a farm where male chicks are killed? Or the females after their prime for that matter. Im assuming this is a very high percentage of farms...Bascially all but the very small keepers of pet chickens?

Do you still buy them because its simply eating meat you disagree with and not killing, or do you only buy from a known pet keeper or what?

Ta!

Oh, also, what about products with eggs in? Do you usually check the source of em? Ooh its reet complicated innit

14. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Ugh flavoured crisps:ack2: I dont like any, nevermind egg!
    I will definitely be checking out that sandwich thread though:D Sounds reet good

15. lithium

lithium frogboy

16. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

*Covers nose*

17. lithium

lithium frogboy

I don't check. I probably ought to. I don't consider myself a particularly principled vegetarian, I just do my best. I never eat meat, I always try to avoid gelatin and cheese with animal rennet, but I don't always succeed. I wear leather shoes. I eat eggs. All these things result in the deaths of animals and I'd rather they didn't, but sometimes laziness and convenience wins out. I see dairy as a good way of staying healthy in the absence of meat or a properly varied diet...
    sorry

18. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

You dont hae to be sorry frogboy!:p

I think your diet is probably incredibly varied and healthy as is mine...dont get me into dairy because it makes me want to vom:ack2: Anyway thanks for the feedback like, I just wanted to know if there was a way to get eggs more conveniently that would mean I wasnt paying for deaths, but it doesnt look like there is. The only pet hen keepers we found are absolutely miles away, further than where the supermarket eggs are from, and Id rather not use the car just to go back and forth collecting eggs because that would suck:frown:

19. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Good news-My mum in law might be getting 3 chickens to keep in the garden for breakfast eggs!

20. lithium

lithium frogboy

Eggciting!:biggrin: