Egg Ads

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by acetonephish, May 11, 2004.

1. acetonephish

acetonephish lickage

2. veinglory

veinglory Member

There is a lot of misleading labelling with eggs, like 'barn raised' and pictures of chicken out in fields. I do eat eggs, but from British organic suppliers that I am pretty happy with. However I also eat a lot of products that use eggs that are probably source from battery cages. It's a fine line between 'pragmatic' and 'hypocritical', but what can one do?

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

In the UK, Sainsbury sell a brand of free range eggs that are allegedly sourced from chickens that are free to roam in woodland. As with all these things, I'd only be 100% convinced when I saw it for myself, but it's probably the most promising brand I've seen (other then buying locally and verifying the source, if you can).

4. minjeig

minjeig Member

out of curiosity, do you know what brand that is?

5. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I heard that they pry open their mouths and shoot food into their bellies and sometimes the chickens explode....but I think that's the chickens that they use for food, not eggs.....I don't know.

Fuck PETA...by the way.

6. peacegal

peacegal Member

I believe you're thinking of foie gras, a "luxury" food made of duck or goose liver. To produce the fatty liver, the duck is held down and force-fed with a device that shoots a large amount of food into him.

This has absolutely nothing to do with PETA. The organization that won this case was Compassion Over Killing, a small Washington, DC organization. ( www.cok.net ). Please stop jumping to conclusions. There are many pro-animal groups out there working in their own way to help animals.

7. HappyHaHaGirl

I was kidding.

8. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

I don't care about organics or factory eggs. I have my own chicken that make more than enough eggs.

I do use a food-shooter, it improves productivity by 150% sometimes they explodes, it leaves such a mess!
    j/k

9. Pablo

Pablo Member

arrogant how companies think they can just make up a logo and stick it on. Like how phillip moris' Kraft dinners say "health quota certifed" on this little round logo on the boxes in some places, decorated to look oficial and special with wheat stocks and all. Ive looked and i cant find anything about a special health quota certification other than the one that says if your food contains too many bug parts its not legal to sell, so perhapse they took that and figured if they braged about it people would think it was special.

"Kraft macaroni and cheese, NEW!, now we follow health codes for bug parts, reducing the amount to only 8 segments per serving, thats right, only 4 ants, or 8 beatles, or half a centiped per bowl full*
    *we may not quite have completly met the health quota, but just last week in one of our plants, we just met it and the inspector said it passed! but come on, only 8 bug parts per serving? thats like only 32 bug parts a box! who do you think you are the pope? You should be happy we usualy keep it down around 23 per serving....ingrates."

10. HappyHaHaGirl

I do hate PETA...I just take any opportunity given (or just percieved) to hate on them....

I hope they don't car bomb me. I can't afford that shit.

I guess I can't be taken seriously. I'm going.

11. veinglory

veinglory Member

Where to the trolls come from? First it's 'I was joking' then a complaint about not being taken seriously. Why do people not interested in a subject still post on it?

Anyway. The best eggs I had came from a corner store where one farmer supplied them. The eggs were just in paper bags so you had to be careful and they had a bit of dirt and stuff on them, but there were lots of photos of the actually farmyard and people were allowed to go out and visit it. They were really great eggs, all yellow and egg-tasting.

12. HappyHaHaGirl

I meant not to take me seriously. Don't do it. You're only hurting yourself!

Geez.

13. veinglory

veinglory Member

Umm. Go away kid, we're trying to talk about eggs here ;)

14. HappyHaHaGirl

I posted a legitimate post in here and made a joke at the end that a bunch of tightass bitches took out of proportion. I'm not trolling, only trying to defend myself. I've been on these forums for years, Astrocat, and I've seen you attack everyone that comes into the Vegetarian forum that isn't in your clique. This forum if full of arrogant douches, like yourself, that think if someone has even a slightly different opinion than you, they are totally worthless and don't deserve to post in the forum.
    I'm not a troll. You're just a conceited bitch. And so are all of your little minions that attacked me because they can't let a touch of lightheartedness through their thick prudish skulls.

;)

15. DoktorAtomik

Astro may well be right about sainsburys and their eggs, as I don't have much trust in supermarkets to deliver ethical produce. However, these eggs are not a sainsburys product, and look like they're possibly ok. They're an initiative of the Woodland Trust, who are generally a pretty sound bunch.

16. DoktorAtomik

Astro ain't top of my list of friendly and welcoming people, but you're post did look kinda weird and I wasn't too sure what to make of it myself. You should all just kiss and make up now, coz it was all just a silly misunderstanding. Or alternatively you can carry on dissing each other and yet another useful thread can be lost in the heat of a flame war....

17. DoktorAtomik

Oh, I agree. You can never be sure without seeing for yourself, which is why I also agree with your earlier comment about buying locally produced eggs where you can actually see how the chickens are kept. Supermarkets are particularly not to be trusted when it comes to ethics. I'm slightly more optimistic in this instance though, since I can't imagine why the woodland trust would want to promote anything that wasn't in keeping with their vision of wild woodland.