Eddy Lepps Trial Begins Today

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by ZenKarma, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Today was the first day of trial for Eddy Lepp, who was arrested for growing 32,500 plants off Highway 20, back in '04.

His first action was to try to get his attorney replaced, for incompetence. The judge refused, proceeding even though Eddy is not properly defended by council.

A jury was empaneled today, and tomorrow the prosecution presents it's case. The defense is scheduled for Thursday, August 28.

The public is invited to see this travesty of justice for itself. Golden Gate Avenue in San Francisco, at the Philip Burton Courthouse on the 18th floor in Judge Marilyn Patel's chambers.

Please show up and show your support for this tireless cannabis crusader about to be railroaded into jail, the judge refuses to allow a religious or medical use defense.

2. mdcnwmn

mdcnwmn Member

This is a pretty good example of our government, arent there enough important issues where we should be focusing our taxpayers money? Violent crimes need more focus.
    I will be there as a supporter if at all possable...

3. Godzilla123

Godzilla123 Member

How do I support it? I'm not in United States of Antimarijuana.

4. Pennyroyal_Tea

Pennyroyal_Tea Member

Write a letter.

5. Severely stoned

Severely stoned Senior Member

Any updates on the trial?

edit: I could've just googled it.

6. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

^ and post updates for browsers. I'm too lazy atm.

7. Severely stoned

Severely stoned Senior Member

I didn't google it because I'm that lazy.

Or just don't care.

8. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

hahaha.

He's gonna get fucked. That's the outcome. The law doesn't give a shit.

9. Godzilla123

Godzilla123 Member

poor guy... a few hundred years from now we'll be looking back and thinking ... wtf was wrong with our system ?!?!?

10. ~Zen~

For an excellently written summation of what happened to Eddy Lepp read the story by Vanessa Nelson

http://www.medicalmarijuanaofamerica.com/content/view/232/1/

She has written a series of stories about Eddy's trial, and I have talked to her in court many times. She takes shorthand notes of her own during testimony so she has as accurate a record of what was said as the court reporter...

Much respect to Vanessa Nelson.

11. ~Zen~

Brethren

The dark angels of Babylon are among us and are trying to take one of our own.

The Reverend Eddy Lepp is to be sentenced December 1, 2008 to two life sentences for growing the sacred herb.

He was denied a religious defense even after the judge ruled he met all the standards necessary to allow this.

Eddy Lepp had notified the Governor, the Attorney General, the Board Of Supervisors of Lake County, the Lake County District Attorney, and the local Sheriff; all by certified mail that he was growing the sacred herb for medicinal and spiritual use – by the members of the Multi-Denominational Ministry of Cannabis and Rastafari.

Jah Rastafari.

Reverend Lepp protected all members of his church, and was the only one charged.

After four years of litigation, his trial was reduced to two very short days of testimony due to restrictions placed by Judge Marilyn Hall Patel. The whole trial was over in less than one week.

[FONT=&quot]We ask that you contact Judge Marilyn Hall Patel and ask that she be lenient in sentencing Reverend Lepp for this victimless act. [/FONT]

12. ~Zen~

Eddy is scheduled to appear in front of the court December 2nd, 2008 to face possibly two life sentences.

We hope you will take the time to write the judge and ask for leniency in Eddy's sentencing.

Here is a sample letter that we ask all concerned to please sign and send to Judge Patel.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your Name
    Your Address
    Your City, State and Zip

Honorable Judge Patel
    c/o Michael Hinckley
    hinckley@stiglichhinckley.com
    Attorney for Rev. Charles Eddy Lepp

Re: Federal Sentencing of Reverend Charles Eddy Lepp

Dear Judge Patel,

I am writing to ask for leniency in the sentencing for Reverend Charles Eddy Lepp, which is scheduled for December 1, 2008

Reverend Charles Eddy Lepp is a Rastafarian minister, and as such is compelled to provide land and assistance to his flock for the cultivation of the sacred herb. Reverend Lepp notified many local, state and federal agencies that he was cultivating cannabis for his ministry based on Federal Law (RFRA) and California State Law (Proposition 215), which clearly allow for medical and religious use of cannabis in spite of any DEA classifications.

We pray that you treat Reverend Charles Eddy Lepp with leniency, as he was merely allowing others to grow cannabis for medical and religious use on Church property with no evidence of personal profit; we pray that you remember his good character and the honor of his word by his obeyance of your court orders; and the sincerity of his beliefs that he was allowed to do this under the previously mentioned law.

Presently there is a great unfairness with State versus Federal Law concerning cannabis, and good people are getting put in precarious legal situations and facing criminal records and unfair sentences in Federal Prison for merely growing a plant as medicine.

Sincerely,

Sign Your Name Here or type it in the email.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please copy and paste the suggested text into an email and send it along to Eddy's lawyer today! Be sure to remember to add your name, address and contact info to make it legitimate in the eyes of the court!

13. ~Zen~

Eddy Lepp called me from prison on Christmas Eve to wish us Merry Christmas, just about made me cry. Imagine that a man calls up folks from inside to wish us Happy Holidays when he is rotting in jail.

Eddy tells me he sees cases and cans of food outside the food hall marked

'unfit for human consumption'

I guess when you are in jail you are not a human being anymore. Very sad.

14. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

Dang.. If I had seen this earlier I would have sent a letter.

2 consecutive life sentences is a long time for just growing cannabis.. if you talk to him again, tell him I wish him the best of luck.