Eco-Terrorism! Help!

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Colourful_Euphoria, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Colourful_Euphoria

Colourful_Euphoria Guest

Hi there,
    I need help, I have been searching for a while but can't seem to find any information on an act of eco-terrorism. I need to talk about an example of eco-terrorism but tree spiking has already been done, so I have to pick a different example. If anyone finds any information on this, that goes in to fairly elaborate detail it would be greatly appreciated!

2. bthizle1

bthizle1 Member

Well, just look into PETA and the ALF...they've done their fair share of "eco-terrorism"...don't really think the term "terrorism" belongs in there, perhaps eco-liberators, but the government will label anything that goes against the norm as terrorism these days won't they? God forbid anyone realizes that human beings aren't the only species that have the right to inhabit this planet.

Greenpeace, has been involved in scenarios the government would consider "terrorism" as well.

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

4. Spaced06

Spaced06 Member

5. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

just gotta know what your searching for.. ;)

6. Colourful_Euphoria

Colourful_Euphoria Guest

Thanks very much, That was all very helpful :)

7. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

ELF was suspected in the liberation of minks from local farms here in UT. Only problem I had with them is a big one; how is it liberating to let minks out of a sure death by a family operated business just to let them out to a sure death on roads, starvation or exposure. These minks did not have a great life in the farms but they sure didn't want to die on the road for ELF to make a point. Make your point legally, without having to alienate those you should most want to change, the farm owners. You destroy their livelihood, they aren't going to want to do anything but destroy yours by pressing charges if you're found.

8. raven23

raven23 Member

Eco-terrorism is when extraction industries devour natural resources, and we are threatened with jail if we try to stop such things from happening.
    It's bullshit to call tree spiking or arson eco-terrorism. That's buying into the government and media propaganda.
    Although, if this is for school, your teachers are not likely to see it this way.
    You never know though.

List of eco-terrorists:

Most federal governments
    Most large corporations

9. raven23

raven23 Member

The rational act for such acts (and this is not a defence, just an explanation) is that the minks are going to die in captivity. Animal liberators (I don't know any personally, so don't send agents to my door) know this, and they believe that it is better for some of the minks to die free then for all to die in captivity.
    Not many people get caught doing this, unless they are just trying it as a lark.
    And yes, some people go out of business. The rationale there is that their business is an immoral one, and that in order for the senseless murder of animals to stop, people need to lose the incentive to get into that industry.
    Making a point legally does not work. Remember we live under a system that respects profit over people.
    Some of the freedoms we take for granted were fought for outside the law...

10. Spirit Wynd

Spirit Wynd Member

How about the way the government and modern society programs the people to depend on technology and so called progress, so they drift further away from nature and all its bounty. Everything we need is in nature if we know what to look for and how to use it.
    But all they see is a place to destroy land and build their concrete jungle, anything to make money.

11. GreenQueen87

GreenQueen87 Member

Amen to that.

12. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

13. raven23

raven23 Member

Lauren Weiner and Zachary Jenson seriuosly need to be removed from that entry. Eric got 19 years, they snitched and walked free this week.that's actuallt the most incomplete article on this issue I've ever seen. Rod is a hero, but there are about a dozen eco-warriors who have been railroaded much more severely.

14. raven23

raven23 Member

Chris McIntosh has been removed from most eco-defence prisoner support lists for racist and sexist beliefs. This article really illustrates how wikipedia can suck a lot of the time.

15. tritreetrip

tritreetrip Member

You should change it then, if you think what you belive is less bias. (though nothing can ever be true unbias)

16. Koreywithak

Koreywithak Member

Earth First! is also considered "eco terriosts". Its stupid to say that these are terriosts. The real terriosts are the governments who destroy this earth everyday. They are the ones who are going to ruin the world. And us "eco terriosts" are the ones who are actually trying to save this planet are called terriosts. Members of Roadblock earth first! are/were being arrested for tree sits against the road I-69 which will destroy mother earth, peoples homes, etc. How can you say people who are sitting up in a tree are terriosts? stupid corporations and politicians.

17. green_revolution

green_revolution Member

You should discuss the Animal Enterprise Act. That's eco-terrorism.

18. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Uh, not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's like this form of 'eco-terrorism'. It's called Guerrilla Gardening. Don't think terrorism is a good word for it. But maybe it's something you'd be interested in. You can find out a lot on google. Theres actually a special method called seed bombing. Basically, you take a seed for a plant, roll it up in a ball of clay and potting soil and throw it in an obscure place where you normally wouldn't have access. It gets minerals from the clay/soil and mother nature permitting, grows into a flower. I've always thought it was a pretty cool concept.

19. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm all for Earth liberation and whatnot, but how can you say that blowing things up, arson and destroying things aren't terrorism? I'm not saying peace is the only way, but arson can burn down homes, kill people and animals. Blowing up buildings can obviously again, harm people.

20. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think the idea, which i agree with, is its better that they die at least somewhat free, rather than die in cages and have their fur used.