Eating More

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by jendi17, Jun 3, 2004.

1. jendi17

jendi17 Member

Ever since I've become vegetarian, it takes more food to fill me up. Last night I had pita bread with salad in it, a banana, and yogurt. Maybe I'm just a pig, I don't know lol. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

That's exactly how I feel, too... like a little piggy... lol... oink oink...

OK, jokes aside, vegetarian food (except for cheese) simply has less calories than meat. So you have to eat more of the same mass to get the same amount of calories.

I like Oniko's argument about a plant-based diet needing less food to sustain... she's right :) So go ahead and eat your veggies!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... carbs... :p

3. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Actually, it's quite difficult for me to feel full. I'm vegetarian (For a long time, I've claimed to be vegetarian, but that really wasn't true), I work out a lot, and I eat less in Japan than I did back home, so for those reasons, it's very difficult for me to feel full. I would like to add more protein in my diet without having to resort to fish.

4. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I don't think I've eaten tofu here - something I should be eating since tofu is plentiful here. I haven't eaten 7 or 8 bananas in a day, but maybe I should try that. I love bananas :), and I have been eating them quite often.

5. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

after I had my kids I went on weight watchers to help me lose that baby weight (they are great by the way so dont laugh at me, almost 60 pounds lost when I was done!) and here are the options they gave me for protien.

Beans or lentils
    cheese
    egg
    egg whites
    parmesan cheese
    peanut butter
    soy milk
    tempeh
    tofu

6. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

I felt the same never full. I went to my doc and he told me to buy Soy protien and drink it ever morning with soy milk.. it gives me more energy and you feel stuffed through out the whole day plus its good for your heart.

7. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

What's with all the protein? Protein doesn't make me feel full... people, there's a much bigger chance that you'll get too much protein in your diet (which <sarcasm> does wonders for your kidneys </sarcasm>), than too little.

As for carbs...

7-8 bananas in one sitting... wowww... that has like 700kcal... hmmmmm, maybe I will try it... ;)

But the food that's the ultimate champion in making me feel full is... potatoes. Cooked potatoes. I swear, I have one, and I can't eat anything for the rest of the day... they just make me feel very very full in a short time. Plus, they're soooo cheap!! ;)