Eat out/in

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, May 21, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I find it amusing at times at the whining that goes on about food choices. While I eat three rounds (or are they squares?) a day, I never fuss about it. My meals are generally pre-planned for the week (that's how I have always shopped except when I lived in Europe and had smaller refrigeration). I seldom eat out because of financial restraints. And one of the reasons that I DON'T like eating out is the VERY REASON that causes you to complain so. I don't like having to ask a waiter what is inside each dish.

I may not be the greatest cook in the world, but I can create soups, salads, stuffed pita, stir fry and blender fruit frappés. I've never gotten sick and I've never tossed out a meal because it was unappealing.

IMHO, if anyone has to bellyache about the food choices in public eateries, then he or she is simply choosing the WRONG PLACES to have a meal. If this is such an issue, I strongly suggest you bring your own food. I've done so before going on airplanes for over twenty years!

2. blackeyedcrow

blackeyedcrow Member

3. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I know where you're coming from... i'm choosing to eat in more and more these days just to avoid the inevitable frustrations of eating out (see lasagne post).

But i have a dilemma of being a part of a family which insists on going to crummy restaurants with a fully predictable menu which, if any at all, has only one vegetarian option. I'm merely one little person... it's too hard to fight the establishment!!!

4. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

Namaste

i find that there is more lovin energy in my meals when they are done at home.I love to cook and have friends come over and share in the eats.Going out i find that it lacks life.Just seems dead.Plus when you cook at home you know what it costs to make.There has only been afew places that i have found that were just not cheap but the people who made the maels put alot of time and love into each dish.Those were on the west coast in Oregon and some in Maine who does Vegan cooking.

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I can see your point, but it would be good to go out and not have to worry.

Actually I've been quite lucky, only place I've had trouble with was a Polish hotel (understandably I guess)
    Even on flights to Barbados over christmas it was fine. The airline provided my brother and I with great vegetarian and vegan respectivly meals (no way is he vegan, just lactose intollerant).

TTFN

Sage

6. Duncan

Actually, I don't. I live in Los Angeles and while there is somewhat of a Polish community here, there are not a lot of restaurants here. I find it unreasonable that a restaurant that serves meals that consist of cabbage, beets, potatoes and onions can charge usurious prices for meals. While Polish cuisine tries to be meat based (usually sausage), there is certainly plenty in terms of grains and root vegetables to keep a vegetarian and even a vegan well fed.

BTW, I don't mean to gross anyone out here, but any country that can keep horses and cows healthy throughout the year can also sustain vegetarians. And since it has been proven that vegetarians can survive in Iceland and Tibet, you can't blame it on venue!

7. mmmnuggets

mmmnuggets Member

what i find faar more interesting is the way your write your post something about it is very interesting like this

"I may not be the greatest cook in the world, but I can create soups, salads, stuffed pita, stir fry and blender fruit frappés. I've never gotten sick and I've never tossed out a meal because it was unappealing."

and....the whole pre-planned lunch for the week thing....
    i know im a real weirdo but i wonder if you might be an alien or somthing like that
    I know youll probably dismiss this as silly banter but and its not an insult at all..
    i just imagine an alien wording a post like yours...completely ledgible just out of the ordinary

8. Duncan

Trust me... I'm originally from the Empire State. My family has been in this country for over 200 years. There is nothing alien about me. There is nothing unusual about buying food for a week or planning meals accordingly. It's not as if I have Tupperware or Corningware neatly arranged in the fridge with the day of the week taped to it.

9. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

its nice where i live theres loads of veggie cafes and resturants, its getting to the point where if you eat meat then you have to look around

s

10. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

Can i move in with you???

11. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

I know you will all probably hate me for saying this, but when i go out i usually just get french fries and a salad for my meal (if there isn't any original veggie options on the menu that is...) I think both of them are great and make a good meal. Ever since i became a vegan, going out to eat has become more of a social thing, talking to people, and having interesting discussions, than the actual food.

Peace and Love,
    Dan