Easy Salsa

Discussion in 'Snacks' started by dutch, Feb 14, 2013.

1. dutch

dutch Member

I found this recipe for salsa that turns out pretty good time after time. Thought I would share it...

Dice 10 Roma Tomatoes. I try to make the pieces about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch in size. Put in large bowl. At one time, I put the tomatoes into a pot of boiling water for a minute, then into a bath of cold water and removed the skins. One can do that but I have found that its not necessary unless one doesn't like tomato skin.

Add one 14 oz can diced tomatoes. I've found that the ones with chili seasoning add some good flavor, but the ones with no seasoning work fine.

Add two Jalapeno peppers, finely diced, seeds removed.

Add two tablespoons fresh Cilantro.

Add two cloves garlic, finely chopped.

Add 1/2 cup sweet onion and 1/2 cup red onion, both finely chopped.

Add 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin. This amount makes the salsa mildly spicy. For mild salsa, reduce to 1 teaspoon, for hot, increase to 2 teaspoons.

Add 2 tablespoons cider vinegar.

Add salt. I use a seasoning salt, like Lawry's, although table salt works fine. I don't add a whole lot of salt, just enough so it's not bland...so season to taste.

Add a sprinkle of sugar. I probably add no more than 1/4 teaspoon, but I never measured it.

I started out putting all the ingredients in a food processor but the salsa came out a finer consistency than I like, so I began to skip the processor.

Refrigerate overnight.

For an added treat, serve with lime-flavored tortilla chips. YUM YUM

2. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

sounds nice