Easy instruments to learn

Discussion in 'Music' started by InTheFlesh, May 13, 2004.

1. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

I was wondering if there are any easy to start and learn, nice sounding instruments out there. I am looking for something that would contribute nicely to a guitar since that's what a play. Anything besides a harmonica that I could play while playing a guitar.

2. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

penny whistle! or a drum!

3. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

like, while, as in at the same time? i could'nt image anything you could play at the same time as a guitar, other then said harmonica. If you wanna play something in addition to guitar, i'd recommend bass. You could get some kind of wind instrument, they're always cool

4. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

a kazoo.
    cant get much simpler than that.
    or have u ever seen one of those old guys that plays the spoons? that looks like fun!!

today i learned how to play the opening to the Redemption Song with my teeth!

5. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Spoons are awesome, and I love kazoos. I want one for my birthday, just so you know..... :)

6. Darius

Darius Member

are you guys forgetting what i relearned alot of music on and we all played as a child!

A RECORDER!!!

Jesus ive probably learned more theory on that then i have with anything musicly wise in awhile, since i played bass. Plus you get to play all the classics like twinkle twinkle and my favorite amazeing grace. Beautiful song. They sell them at walgreens now for like 10 bucks with a easy to learn little booklet! it is so worth the 10 dollars!

7. DiscoDawn

DiscoDawn Members

How about one of those mouth harps? the ones that go 'twang twang' or whatever.

Or maybe a tambourine, or bongos.

8. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I LOVE my recorder!! I still have my little plastic one from grade 2. I rocked the music class with that thing! You can never play This Old House or Ruby Tuesday too many times when u have a recorder!! My advice would be to buy a wooden one tho, they sound much better than plastic.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

when yooz busy-fingered with the guitar
    frets
    then sure there's the feets
    too
    a zbud a'mine plays
    bass with toes
    via the foot-bass row
    of an old electric organ .

mmm? jes tinkin' ...
    an invention : there's different
    ways to power music with a wheel ,
    like maybe a treadle from a sewing machine
    or employing a stationary bike . for one thing ,
    this could rotationally
    strum or bow a drone string
    tuned to a root vibration .

hey!

10. sonik

sonik Member

The Triangle!

11. FunkyConguero

FunkyConguero Member

if you're lookin to play while playin guitar, you could get yourself a couple of bass-drum pedals and put various percussion instruments in front of them (drums, cowbells, wood blocks, chimes, etc.)

this could be kinda difficult if you had lots of pedals goin cause your lower body would be movin around alot more and make it harder to hit all the notes right on your guitar. but if you started small with just 1 or 2 pedals and worked your way up, that would end up sounding pretty amazing, IF you can pull it off.

12. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Ocarinas are cool... :)

13. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I'd kill for Piano lessons... I can play some basic stuff "By Ear", but i'd like to play some Classical stuff. I love the Piano!

14. Jesus~

Jesus~ Member

I love the ocarina. I got 2 at a renaissance festival, they sound really good. Try it out.

15. Orsino

Orsino Member

you can always play a bass drum with your feet.. or a double bass drum :D

16. Acid_Rain

Acid_Rain Member

you know, i play flute, and it's not that hard to learn, and it sounds good with guitar

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

mandolin works well as a change-over instrument.

I have seen an electric mando used in place of an electric guitar for a long space in a band's life, and it worked very well... we teased the player about being a rock star a lot. Now he is oddly enough.

hand percussion could weave in well, check out Kan'Nal at www.kanal.org
    and listen to the MP3s.

Mainly, if you play leads, you need to be a guitarist most of the time. If you are rhythm, you can switch around.

drumminmama

18. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Piano. Best starter instrument ever. Sorry I didnt start with it. Everything transfers to and from piano.