Easiest way to home school?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by seek3r, Jun 25, 2010.

1. seek3r

seek3r Member

Hello i am searching for the easiest way to home school for 2 semesters im going into the 11th grade and im going to drop out after this school year and get my GED and start my own business instead of taking another full year of high school. More specifically im looking for a less time consuming way out. Im very intelligent and score in the 99 percentile on my SAT's every year. Any input or advise would be much appreciated.

peace

2. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

Not worth it, man. A GED is a step below a real high school diploma. If you're getting such great grades, just stick it out for one more year and at least get your full high school.

3. Feles Mala

Feles Mala Member

Dude just stick it out is my advice

I was homescooled from the 2nd grade on and graduated when I was 16, so I realize I don't have much ground to stand on since you could say I got out early. But that's because I didn't take summer breaks, when one grade ended I just got the books for the next. No time off. I got out early, but I worked my butt for it. Stay in school, you'll be much more proud of an actual diploma than a GED

4. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

What was your most recent SAT score? Have you been taking AP and Honors classes?
    How old are you? If you are 17 you should be able to take the GED.

But the intelligent thing to do would be to stick it out and finish high school.
    Getting your high school diploma and even a bachelor's degree today is more about how well you stick to something and finish it more so then about education, at least in the eyes of employers and lenders.
    What type of business are planning?
    It is very hard to start up a business, especially in this economy and doubly so if you are young without a high school diploma.
    If you are getting scores as you say on the SAT, then school should be a breeze so why not just work harder and graduate early? For somebody to score that high, you should already be getting scholarship offers from colleges, big name ones.

5. Valdis

Valdis Member

Many people get a GED these days. It's a long test but other than that, it doesn't carry with it the negativity most folks think. You can easily get into the military or go to college with a GED under your belt these days.

Since you want to do neither of those things, you could just drop out and start your business. Or do you need a GED to start your business for some reason?

Have you researched your state laws with regard to dropping out and/or homeschooling? Each state is different.

6. seek3r

seek3r Member

I do not have my SAT papers with me at the moment but i know scored in the 99th percentile in each subject and didnt miss one question on my OLSAT. I did make the mistake of not taking AP classes (i got mixed in with the wrong crowd in my early high school years). I am 16 years old. I plan to open up my own coffee shop (money is not a problem for opening and maintaining this business). I do not want to take an extra year of high school if i do not absolutely have to, in my eyes it is a waste of time and effort. I can just just as much if not more from the internet and books.

7. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

As said, research the laws in your state. It is different in each state as for when you can drop out and how easy it is to homeschool.

One possibility that could be a big help is to find out if your high school has any kind of business classes. If so those could help you with your business, give you something to do at school while you finish to get your diploma. If not, a GED is not a bad thing to have. I have even heard it can be a good thing to have, as with a high school diploma it pretty much just shows you could stick it out whereas with a GED it shows you took the lead by going and actually taking and passing a big long test.

Good Luck with the coffee shop!

8. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

As a holder of the grand ole' GED myself, I'd like to caution you against it. It fluctuates from year to year as to how well accepted it is.
    As far as opening a business, it wont look good to have dropped out when it comes to building your business credit. You will eventually need a line of credit for the business and one of the first things they'll see, from a lender standpoint, is a "quitter." Not a good way to encourage confidence in you as a prospect for paying your bills.
    I agree with the poster above me that you should take business courses first. Owning your own business isn't as easy as some make it out to be. It takes a lot of planning and even more patience. Business courses will help prepare you for the eventualities that can crop up later. Anyone who tells you its only about having the money to start and the desire to make it work is full of crap and will be among the first to laugh if and when you fail.