Earth energy

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by Müller Rice, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Müller Rice

Müller Rice Member

I hov heard that scientists can get energy from the hot core of the earth by drilling into it. How true is this and is it an ecological method to be using for the futures?

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I have heard about this on the radio as well.

3. Selfsustaingsociety

Selfsustaingsociety Member

it's called geothermal heating/cooling, it works and anyone that has the cash can get it installed...

my only concern is how will that affect the earths natural temp if let's say all people in develloped countries turn to that source. what would be the total and long term effects, can't say for sure...

4. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

Are you asking about a geothermal heat pump that is used to heat a home or building?
    basicly taking the heat that is down 30-50 feet in the ground....its like a reversed refrigerator.

OR

Geothermal power used to produce electrical power....
    tapping into large heat deposites thousands of feet down...water or another fluid is pumped down where it turns to steam, it is then returned to the surface were it powers a steam turbine generator to generate electrical power.

5. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

For electricity production you need a geothermal vent. I can't remember exactly how the system works but it involves water being heated in the vent until it becomes steam which then turns turbines and produces electricity. Iceland has a few of these plants. I think there are a few in California as well, the hard part is finding these vents and being able to build around them. Earthquakes and underground piping don't go to well together.