E. A. Poe

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Bonky, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Bonky

Bonky Member

I think he is an excellent writter. You?

2. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Yes, what's that one about the pirates and treasure and looking through the scarab or skull or something to find it. Aurrgghhh!!!!, I can't remember the title. Short term memory loss sucks.

3. moonbeam

moonbeam Member

yeah.....i like annabel lee

4. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

tara, that would be The Gold Bug.
    I like poe. I like the The Murders in Rue Morgue, really out there.

5. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Lenore is SOO good.

6. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

That's IT!! Thank you so much, it was driving me crazy. All the classics are good, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Raven, etc. I can remember so many of the stories and not their names. I'm so lame. There's the one about the old guy's eye - Oh, I remember, Telltale Heart. And the one about the portrait of a lady which was so real it sapped her life when done.
    I once went to see Vincent Price in a play, so I could get him to autograph an old copy of Poe's complete works. It was cool. All the others were getting him to sign his cookbooks. I think he liked me. [​IMG]

7. gesone

gesone Member

I just finished reading "The Pit and The Pendulum". The man is a monster applying diction and the way he creates the mood of his story is superb!

8. migle

migle Senior Member

I remember first time i read "The extrange case of Mr. Valdemar" (i don't know the original title, this is translated from Spanish) i was horrified, at night alone on bed, ufff, i think i was too young to read it, i almost make pee , hehehehe.

Poe is a horror genius

9. Defence_mechanism

Defence_mechanism Member

hell yeah. a way with words. The Raven - my all time favourite poem.

10. sasja

sasja Member

I have to read the raven, and ellenore. they seem sooo good.
    First william shakespear
    god, i've got allot to read!

peace y'all!

11. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Member

I used to like him a lot. My favourite short story is "Ligeia".

12. cherryiceangel

cherryiceangel Member

I red masque of the red death in a lit class this last year, it was okay. I have a hard time getting into his writing. It's a bit too formal for me. I like easy read books for the most part, finding the deeper meaning and symbology is just not that fun for me usually.

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I used to have a whole book of his stories, I kind of outgrew him I would guess.I still love some of his poems (The Raven, Anabelle Lee), yet the short stories do not do nuch for me anymore.

But ehh, I remember reading "The Tale Tale Heart" (i probebly mispelled one of the "tale")... In 5th grade... it made a big impression on me, kind of influenced my writing then.

14. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

poe's great. he had some pretty intense views on form in literature. for example, he argued that a work should be readable in one sitting. http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/poe/works/criticis/philos.html this is a link to a criticism of his called "the philosophy of composition," in which he details the process he used to construct "The Raven." I respect him even more now that I've read this criticism and a short essay of his called "the poetic principle," which covers some similar themes. so yeah...poe is dope, YO!

15. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

I'm bothered by how, in school, fifth graders and middle school students read Poe. Sure, his stories have strong formal elements so kids can diagram the plot and udnerstand elements of characterization and whatnot, but Poe's skill is too great to be appreciated so early on. Teaching Poe early gives students (not to suggest that you feel this way, rubin...just in general) the impression that poe wrote mere elementary horror tales that can be outgrown. Poe can be read at any level, bu he seems to be thought of as a novelty too often. of course, this opinion is just from my experience; i hope I'm worrying too much and not too little.

16. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I read Poe on my own, not in school, I just associate the time with 5th Grade.

I have always been reading on a much higher level than my grade... THey read that same story in 8th grade or so...

I "outgrew" it in the sense that now i seek more structure, a higher philosophical lesson or meaning to books. Poe is a great plot makes, and does have some weak psychological quarells, but he is weak in them, it is not developed. I am not a fan of most short stories in general, because the plot is rushed, and not developed graduatly.

He can indeed be read at "any level", it is just a matter of what you're looking for in a book. I no longer look for what Poe provides, I need more.

17. squeesh

squeesh Member

i recently discovered my dads large complete collection of poe's short stories and have read a whopping two so far but i do like very much. i studied gothic literature last year at school and so have found reading these stories very interesting. quite confusing at times but overall quite good :)

18. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Yes, I'm a fan!

19. PeaceFrog420

PeaceFrog420 Member

Has anyone read the Cask of Amontillado? It's not one of his most noteworthy, but I definitely like it! We read it in my English class last year, and it's the story that got me hooked on Poe. Also, I'm surprised no one has made any mention of the Black Cat yet. Such an excellent story!!

20. MeMilesAway

MeMilesAway Member

Yeah Annabelle Lee is such a classic. But Murders in the Rue Morgue is my favorite. Poe was so obsessed with madness and his poems were full of it.