dying for a hair cut

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by lucyinthesky, Sep 21, 2006.

1. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i want to do something fun with my hair. I want to cut it and have a whole, fresh new look. im so bored and down with myself these days, i'd like to think sprucing up my outside might make me feel a little better on the inside. I'm starting to feel really old (just because im only 22 doesn't mean im not allowed to feel old, it's not really an age thing). I really love my hair the way it is...when it co-operates but it seems like lately no matter what i do, it's hideous. I've only been keeping it the way it is for the last few months because people are ALWAYS telling me how much they love my hair and to not ever cut it. A huge part of me really wants to go back to brown.....but brown doesn't look as nice on me without a lot of eye makeup on......which id ont wear much of anymore. And i can't go too short (though i'd love to) because i dont think i have a face for it.
    Aidez moi, SVP!

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i like it just the way it is..but ofcourse i think youd loook even better with dreads...cause everyone does :)

3. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

What does your hair look like atm? Mine used to be long, brown and very frizzy and curly. A ghd, getting my hair dyed blond and cut much shorter soon changed the way I looked completly. Theres really no limit to the things you can do.:) like someone said... dreads always look good... I loved mine. :) Hair is something fun to play with a change!

4. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

If I remember correctly, I loved your hair brown!

But anyway, get it cut in layers a little longer than shoulder length, or dread it like said soaringeagle.

5. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

well, I'm not much of a help, but I really do love your hair.
    Honestly, you could try the dreads thing, it would look awesome!
    But yeah, like I said, I'm not too much of a help :p

6. lucyinthesky

I knew tons of people would suggest dreads hahaha i thought of mentioning this in my o.p. but i don't want dreads yet. I think it's something i'll do after i get married. I want long do-able hair when i get married....and if i get dreads now, chances are i'll have them for a long time. I figure the right time will be after i have babies, because i wont have time to mess with my hair anymore and plus dready mamas are saweeeeet.

im thinking i want to cut it just below chin legnth. (if anyone watches friends....think rachels hair cut, about 7th season...after she did Rock Star) I just want to do something bold...bold colours, bold cut.....I've had pretty much the same hair my whole life....and especially for the last 3 years....i've been sporting the same hairdo's...because it's ALL i can do with my head. I don't want to be one of those ladies who finds one do who works for her in her 20's and sports it until she's 90. i'm ready for some experimenting. :) i think im going to do it! (come talk to me in 2 hours and i'll be like 'hell no!' lol)

7. barefoot_kirstyn

lol, i know how you're feeling right now.....I'm contemplating doing mine pink again.....but I just spent the last 2 years getting it healthy and back to normal again after 9 years of destroying it.....so I'm like, "uh...this is almost feeling life or death," even though it's only hair! yesh....lol
    I, personally, love long hair and am not too much of a fan of short hair, but that bob was pretty cute that Rachel had. Do you have one of those programs for your computer where you put in a pic and then try all the differnt hair styles....sometimes that helps! :)

8. barefoot_kirstyn

oh, yeah, and as for the dread thing....they are definatley easier after having a baby! I had started to dread mine after Leane was born....then one painful day, brushed them all out a few moths later. I don't know why...I just wanted to. But yeah, they made things a lot easier!

9. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Yeah, I understand wanting to do something different. I've wanted to dye mine. For awhile I thought I wanted to dread it, but I want to wait as well. Though I had my hair twisted(looks kinda like dreads) and I haven't had time to undo all of it and it's started to dread. I've gotta spend an entire day trying to untwist it. :(

Then I need to find a new hairstyle. Maybe I'll dye it, red.

10. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Honestly lucy, I really like your hair. I would LOVE to have hair like yours, all curly like that. It's beautiful.

11. lucyinthesky

so would everyone, and this makes me feel like i should never cut it. I know it's intended to make me feel good, and it used to, but now it makes me feel bad for wanting a change. But i want to do this for me...i've had this hair for ages, i can never DO anything with it, i feel like a frumpy ol' house wife....plain as dish water, i am. :confused:

12. angelle

angelle Member

maybe go to the salon or what not around your home, and ask one of the stylists there to suggest a cut/color that would flatter your face shape. just let them know your ideas, and i bet they could help you out. that's what they're there for! ive had long hair for years... it was down past my breasts, and everyone would say how lovely it was... i know what you mean by it making you feel like you shouldnt cut it. just do it though... i cut mine myself, just a little below the chin as well.. it takes some getting used to, but it'll all grow back! all in all.. im a long hair kind of gal whos just waiting for the right time to get dreadie with my bad self too. haha for now i just have one dread in the back.. he's solid though, and i love him.

13. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

plainas dish water? ya gotta be kidding..you..your hair..is gorgouse
    in gotta ask..is it reallyyour hair makin u feel down about yourself? or is it just the easiest thing to change..& if thats the case, would changing it really matter that much? maybe for a few days, but not for real..
    maybe i'm not helpingmuch, but i do love your hair
    maybe you could try just a more subtle change? lil color?
    instead of such a drastic change that could take years to grow back?

14. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Wow Soaringeagle's last response was really good and I could totally relate to it. About this time last year I was feeling really frumpy and bored about the way I looked and got it in my head that a chin-length bob would be just the thing to solve my problems.

It felt DAMN good cutting off all those inches. I felt like a new person, for a little while. But upon reflection I realized that my need for change simply stemmed from my parents getting a divorce and me feeling pretty powerless about it. That, of course, is just my own personal experience so take it with a grain of salt and do whatever the hell you want.

BUT since we're on the topic-- if I had your hair, I would dye it a beautiful rich red. I think it would look so good on you, and it might help keep your hands away from the scissors.

15. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I think for some people changing on the outside fuels them to change on the inside. You shouldn't keep your hair because everyone wants you to... the grass is always greener and such, but maybe you should try to find something that works for your hair, maybe the reason you can't do anything with it is because the things you're trying to do don't work for your particular type of hair.

I don't really know, but I know that was the case for my hair, I had to learn what works for my hair...

Or maybe you should do something to it, but it should be your decision.

The two times I've changed my hair have also been huge journey's for me, and changing my entire life. The first time was growing out the chemical straightener I'd been getting every month and a half, for 13 years. And after that it was cutting off almost all of my grown out hair and starting over. It changed me more than just on the outside and it lasted... this was 2004 and I'm a very different person because I had the courage to do those two things.

16. barefoot_kirstyn

honeyhanna makes a really good point.
    Although it's not healthy to try and cover up feelings with cosmetic procedures, I think that this is just a case of boredom.
    I just did mine pink tonight, like I was contemplating doing earlier in this thread. Last time that I had it this way, it made me feel a lot more like myself. I always took my mom's opinion of me too far, and even though I knew that I was different, she would make a comment on how weird I looked about my hair or clothes, and I would run to my room to change. However, she isn't me. She's stuck in the 80's with the way that she dresses and I don't know why I took her opinion so seriously.
    When I moved out, I started to dress like I wanted and I did my entire head pink. I felt like someone had freed something with in me. I was able to finally show the world how I felt about myself and that I really was different.
    I know that it sounds kinda shallow, but outside appearances can have a huge effect on the way that you feel about yourself. Be who you are, and don't let others tell you what you should look like. It's a wonderful feeling when you do!
    I wasn't sure about doing it this time (though I wasn't ballsy enough to do the whole head, I just have a hell of alotta streaks) cuz all I could hear in my head was, "but your hair looks good the way that it is, you finally look normal," (my hair actually looked a lot like yours does) and doing this feels like I'm saying, "yeah, so there!" lol

17. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

Lucy, I think you should go a deep brown with fire engine red streaks. It would look HAWT!

18. defboatz14

defboatz14 Member

Get a few streaks, a lucky patch(like a blonde or brown circle in one spot)?

19. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

your hair is already pefect.
    bitch. :p

20. lucyinthesky

after recently seeing some old pictures of me with brown hair, iknow i dont really want to go down that route again. i looked really weird.

i'd really like shorter hair....im still thinking about it though