Dye Basics~

Discussion in 'Sewing with an Artistic Mindset' started by Pharoah, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

I am not a chemist~ Just someone who likes to play with colors :) So I usually work with Fiber Reactive Procion Dyes.

There are LOTS of Carcinogens in dye, but it is really only toxic if you inhale the powder and/or fumes. So caution should be used as well as GLOVES, and A FACE MASK. Do this outside or in an open area. You can even use goggles if you like in addition to the two mentioned above... Also never ever use anything to eat in once you have used it to mix dye.

OK Don't be scared you can start small! Many craft stores carry the tye dye kits using procion dyes. First try using one of those. Or you can find some at www.dharmatrading.com They also have a great Ideas and projects section.

Or This is what you will need to get started~

1 yard or so of(cotton, hemp, rayon, or natural fiber)fabric or equal article of clothing
    1 or 2 colors of Procion dyes (colors of your choosing) 4-8 teaspoons
    Salt 1/2 cup
    Soda Ash Fixer 1/2 cup
    Urea (optional but recommeded) 1 tablespoon
    1/2 gallon of water or so

Here is a simple less mess tie dye effect that I like~

You can make a mix w/ warm water, salt, soda ash, and urea in a bucket small enough to fit the article of clothing you want to dye in the bottom. Take about 2 cups (16 oz) of this chemical mix and put it to the side. Add the first color to the bottom of the bucket, then mash the fabric down~ there should still be white parts of the fabric showing on top, then you can add your other color to the rest of the chemical water, stir and add to the top of the fabric. I like to let the colors go where they want but you can mash the fabric down if you feel the need. DIfferent fabrics will hold the color differently than others.

For A solid Dye~
    Procion dye
    urea
    soda ash fixer
    salt
    To Tub dye I get crazy and usually throw all the ingredients above into the washing machine (in the appropriate amounts) using a small load on a hot setting. Be sure to put the fabric in last once the mixing starts. LEAVE THE LID UP on the washing machine, and you might want to cover it with an old towel or something to keep the dye from splashing out. then once a half hour has passed close the lid and let it finish all the cycles :) The fabric isnt tie dyed but it is more of a solid color. Its always fun to experiment though, so have fun with it!

If toxic dyes arent your thing try working with staining fabric, try using coffee, juice, or other common stain makers to change the color of fabric. When grannies Pomegranite tree is givin us lots of pomegranites I would use the juice to stain muslin a nice light pink by soaking the fabric. It was alot of work but so rewarding.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

2. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Great info! I have seen some of the beautiful pieces you have made that you dyed. I'm wondering..do you dye the fabric you will use before you sew..or do you like to dye finished pieces post-sewing? Just curious. Might be nice to have some dyed scraps leftover if done before hand!

3. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Good question! It all depends on what you want the finished peice to look like but usually I dye the fabric first because you can patchwork all the different colors together. You can choose the best looking parts of the fabric to use in a large piece,and use the scraps when you have enough different colors.

4. kansas

kansas Member

woawoa woa
    so do you gather flowers and stuff and dye it that way
    cant you?

5. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Yes, Make a tea with it and let it soak for a while, But please remember natural dyes are often neither safer nor more ecologically sound than synthetic dyes. But if you are using coffee, or pomegranite stain than you should be ok~

6. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

we used cocheniel and Indigo in class...it was awesome...indigo is great because it doesn't require a mordant.
    I like to use either the washiing machine or some really big pots i gathered from thrift shops and garage sales when i want to vat dye...
    :) LOVE IT.

7. kansas

kansas Member

i dont know much about it at all
    but it seems so interesting
    to make your own dyes and everything
    what do you mean its not safer?

8. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

[​IMG]Drawbacks of the Natural Dyes
    [​IMG]Ecological Aspect- Just as the dye is natural, does not imply automatically that would also be environmentally sustainable. For example pesticides may have been used to grow the crops etc.

[​IMG]Dependency on chemicals, need for a huge amount of water, effluents, inherent weakness in color.

Almost all natural dyes require the use of a chemical mordant.

Check out http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/naturaldyes.shtml for more information~

Like Rar says, indigo is one that does not require a mordant~

9. braveheartlion

braveheartlion Member

Do you have instructions on pattern making when dying? I have made tie dyes before, but just winged it. They came out good, but would love to make some cool patterns also now. I just love using tie dyed material in my patchworks also. I have only used it in blankets so far, but will be making some shorts pants dresses and tops once I have some made up.

I want to get indigo to do some. I think it comes out so beautiful even though I'm more of a green person. :love: