Dune

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by browneydgrl, Jan 13, 2005.

1. browneydgrl

browneydgrl Member

ok, im not really a big fan of sci-fi, but i started this book by Frank Herbert a couple years ago, and when i was done i didnt pick up another book for a few weeks cuz i didnt want the memory of Dune to fade away. its absolutely excellent penmanship.

2. azimuth

azimuth Member

Dune is a great book, but I suggest you try anything by Neil Stephenson. As good or better.

- azimuth.

3. CosmicKatie

CosmicKatie Member

Dune was an amazing book! Some parts made me sad and wish that things would go differently, but what a world he created! All the royal houses and special organizations... And what rich characters! I will never forget this book.

4. noland

noland Member

The Dune chronicles are some of the best books I have ever read. I have only gotten through the first three books. Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune.I'm gonna read em all but haven't yet.

5. gnombient

gnombient Member

The Dune series is quite possibly the best SF I've read. Don't listen to the naysayers...

6. juggla

juggla Member

good book, watch the movie when your done its a great sci-fi flick.

7. PharaohWhim

PharaohWhim Member

mmm! I was hoping that someone would have spoken up about Frank Herbert and/or his son's books! I think that the Dune Chronicles (can I call them that?) may be the most wonderful examples of science fiction out there. Developed characters, check, realistic setting, check, high tech stuff, check, message, check...epic storyline, check. It takes a few years to read them all--there's what, 12?--but it's worth those years of your life! Can't honestly say though that Frank Herbert's son writes with the same fluency or style, though, so if you want to be a purist, just leave off at Chapterhouse: Dune. Ooh, and they did just recently release a director's cut of David Lynch's film version of the first book, so...that's a must see for everyone.

8. IronGhost

IronGhost Member

Dune is truly one of the greatest SF books of all time. When it first came out, it was almost a flop. It took a long time to catch on.

The movie was not that great, in my opinion, but the series they did on the SF Channel was amazingly good.

If you loved Dune, you'd love anything by the great SF writer Jack Vance. Vance and Herbert were good friends, and even went to Mexico together just so they could get away from it all and write SF. They both wnet broke in a few months and had to go back to California.

www.starcopywriter.com

www.ironghost.wordpress.com

Flippy Flap to you all!

9. EwokUtopia

EwokUtopia Member

If we do travel space, I am sure we would find so many other substances we call "drugs" today. Thats whats great about dune, its about drugs with a point. Like the spice. When it is taken en masse, the user see's the universe for what it truly is. Or the Juice of Sapho, which allows people to think like computers. I wonder if we have anything like that on Earth......no doubt it would be illegal now.

10. hippyfreakdude

hippyfreakdude Member

i think the dune books have the most realistic settings and events that i've ever read