Drunken Rainy Rooftop Madness (an experiment in Gonzo journalism)

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by inbloom, Jun 20, 2006.

1. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

The night was full of beer, smoke, pool, and the occasional pretty face across the room. Once or twice, 2 feet away, a girl asking me questions about the insane tangled mess on my head. Jesus, what a trip. She says, "I wanna take you home", I say, "stick around, just a little longer." Apparently, that wasn't an option. She heads for the door.​

Next thing I know, we're at some insane red-neck jockfest of a party, with the men stripping on coffee tables, and the women throwing quarters! Madness. After dodging a few contemptous glares from the asshole roid freaks in the kitchen, we drink some more, smoke some more, and enjoy a wonderful grass cigarette on the back porch. A stellar joint. A rip! Wonderful.​

After successfully crashing and ditching two bars and a party, we head for the school for some drunken rainy rooftop madness. I went here as a kid, learning, laughing, and playing. Now, as an older man, stumbling blindly through the rain and liquor haze, friendly guiding hands help me up. Up we go! With a BANG, and a CRASH, and an AAAY, OOOH, AAAY, OOOOH! PARDON ME, WHILE I BURST INTO FLAMES! What are we, insane? Alcoholically induced retardation? Do we WANT to get pinched?​

Suddenly, flashlights in the yard. Crap! The jig is up! Down a 12 foot rain duct, my feet hit pavement, but only for a minute. Now, splashing through rain puddles and wet mud, we make a break for an alley, or some kind of shaded hideaway. A car across the street is honking frantically, attempting to break our cover. "You bastard!" I scream, as we run across yards and baseball fields. I cramped my leg, and my chest is on fire. But, we're safe, now. ​

After a quick re-fuel at the local convenience store, we're into the Jeep, and driving madly intoxicated, and on the left lane, as if we're in god-damned Britain. Get on your side of the road, Ryan, there's the cops! Careening through an entricate serious of alleys and shortcuts, we make a dash for Jaas' house. We hide out until the heat is down, and we make a break for home. All is safe on the western front...for tonight. ​

By James Alexander​

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

it's good, but it's just a little too much like Thompson
    personalize it more

3. stalk

stalk Banned

man that's not like thompson at all.

I was JUST reading fear and loathing on the campaign trail '72

I got a kick outa your story man,

sounds like fun :]]]]]]

4. Duck

well, Thompson is alot more sophisticated, but still

5. stalk

stalk Banned

True-

I get some influence vibes,
    but more of a movie influence,
    rather than his journalism influence.

6. stalk

stalk Banned

oh haha, i didn't even see the subject was called
    an experiment in gonzo journalism.

Neverrrrrrmiiiiiind

7. inbloom

Thanks, guys. I'm glad to see some people responded, and enjoyed at least a little. Yeah, it's very much like Thompson's writing, for sure.

I'm in the middle of reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas right now, and getting a right kick out of it. My friend's and I had a very drunken and drug induced night of mischief the other night, and I had just suddenly got the idea to write a Thompson-esque piece about it, so I went ahead and tried. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, and my friends all got a kick out of it. Especially when I read it aloud, in the style of Johnny Depp's Raoul Duke. :)

8. Duck

I liked it alot actually, I just didn't like how much it sounded like him

9. AerialReaver

AerialReaver Member

sweet story man...that would be a fucking rush man

10. inbloom

I agree, Duck. It definetly sounds too much like Thompson, but that was kinda the point. It was just a fun little experiment.

Thanks, AerialReaver. It was a fucking rush, actually. We would've been in a lot of shit, had the cops got their hands on us. Lucky we got away! Hahah.

11. Duck

I guess that is kinda a skill, being able to imitate another artist
    but I think it's much more of a skill to imitate their style and still retain your own tone, or vice versa

12. i agree!

13. FreeBird1969

FreeBird1969 Fleas on their paws.

I can hear Thomspon telling that story. :D It's good, but like somebody else said, try personalizing it a little more.

14. inbloom

Thanks, Corrine and Freebird. :)

Yeah, I know that it sounds like Thompson. That was kinda the point, like I was saying. I wanted it to sound like him, so I think I ultimately succeeded with this piece for that reason. If I were to turn this into something more of a short story, with actual characters and settings and whatnot...yeah, definetly I would personalize it more. But, it was merely intended as somewhat of a homage to Thompson, if you will.

Thanks for everyone's comments, and I'm glad that you guys enjoyed it. :D

15. misterrain

misterrain Banned

It sounds like Hunter S. Thompson without any insight, political commentary, satire, 'journalism' or point. In fact, it goes absolutely nowhere from the time you start reading it to the time you stop.

16. inbloom

*sigh* Did you miss all the other posts I made in response to this thread? Fuck, nevermind, retard.

17. misterrain

misterrain Banned

My point wasn't that it sounded Like Hunter S. Thompson, but that it was totally devoid of what makes Hunter S. Thompson interesting.

18. Tparkboy

Tparkboy Member

yeah he really does try to be like thompson. "madness"

19. Tparkboy

Tparkboy Member

its pretty pathetic. Nothing worse then posers

20. Duck

I think it's pretty pathetic how demanding and critical people can be.